Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have a question for everyone. Hope someone can help me with it. How do I elimanate mice from my young chickens house without hurting my young ones ? They are in there real bad and I can't stand it !!!! Anyone have any answers ?
I use mousetraps, but they are inside a rabbit cage that the birds can't get into- but the mice can. All i have to do then is open the door to the cage in the mornings, and dispose of the bodies! Maybe you could rig up a similar system, build a "mouse box" with a hole and a hinged door............? Probably depends on how young your little ones are, if they can still fit into itty-bitty spaces themselves!

Last edited:
Careful poisoning mice. Hens will eat dead mice they find laying around and though you may never know it... those same hens are laying your eggs. Other animals can also get them and in mammals the residual poison can cause nasty side effects.

RB - To kill the ones you've already got, I'd just make some little covered boxes, with tiny doors and set traps inside them. The chickens won't be able to move the boxes, but the mice can get in to the traps and then you can just lift the boxes to get them out and reset. To keep them out in the long term, make sure there's no food in there for them. (Easier said than done.)

Happy weekend everyone! I'm having a blast watching the olympics with my kids.....they were 'swimming' on the bed this morning and doing 'flips' last night during the men's gymnastics. I'm kind of bummed tha I have to miss the womens' gymnastics replay tonight since I'll be at work, but maybe we'll be really slow and I'll get out at a reasonable time.

After all of this incubator talk, and your incredible offer Olive, one (with a turner) popped up on CL yesterday. I'm picking it up in about an hour.
celebrate.gif
This is the only one I've seen all summer, and it's about 5min from my house. Now to read as much as I can in the incubating section and try to figure out how all of this works.

DH built a little coop for the chicks yesterday, and then we fenced off part of the big run, so they big girls can get used to the little girls an we can hopefully integrate them in September or so, in the coop we're going to build. THAT way, I can use the current coop and run as a grow-out pen.
wink.png
The chicks aren't going out there until they've finished their 10 days of Tylan though. No way am I risking getting my big girls sick just to get the babies out of the basement a few days sooner. There have been no sneezes for 3 days now though!
yesss.gif

Oh, chick injury question. One of the new chicks was attacked or stepped on or something when it was a few days old, according to the lady we got them from, and has no comb. (I'm pretty sure it's roo, too.) It'll never get a comb, right? Poor thing is soooo ugly without it.

Careful poisoning mice. Hens will eat dead mice they find laying around and though you may never know it... those same hens are laying your eggs. Other animals can also get them and in mammals the residual poison can cause nasty side effects.

RB - To kill the ones you've already got, I'd just make some little covered boxes, with tiny doors and set traps inside them. The chickens won't be able to move the boxes, but the mice can get in to the traps and then you can just lift the boxes to get them out and reset. To keep them out in the long term, make sure there's no food in there for them. (Easier said than done.)
Very good point, however, we have used the non-poisonous traps for 2 years and they NEVER touched them. I don't know if we have smart mice or what lol.

Beautiful Day!! Hopefully it stays nice, we are having a bunch of people over tonight for gourmet smores. The yard work is done and house cleaned .... except my stink quail cages. I had just cardboard pull out trays in the bottom and my son was being helpful watering them. Just say I have really stinky trays that have to be replaced.
don't you love it when they try to help
wink.png
...when my grand son was about 2or3 he wanted to help mommy with the laundry and put bleach in the machine.....to this day (he is 24) I don't think she buys bleach
lau.gif

as for the cocci, I understand most birds have it as it is in the ground ect.... but it is hard to know when to treat if they show no sign of blood, and when they do it may be to late...I think that is why a lot of farmers treat every spring regardless
idunno.gif

I put the birds away last night having never heard a crow from Mr. F all day. This morning when he did not come out again, I was worried. I looked in he was not there, I looked under, and there he was, standing up! Sweet. I went to get some feed for the tinies and ERRRR-RRRR-RRRRRARRRRRR! Loud and clear. It is pretty messed up when a crow can nearly bring you to tears.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
celebrate.gif
.I hope this is a real sign that he is getting better
did you also give the one for Kentucky Fried chicken spice? I thought I got that here, also thought I wrote it down... can't find it and my jar is empty
hide.gif

Ok, I have a question for everyone. Hope someone can help me with it. How do I elimanate mice from my young chickens house without hurting my young ones ? They are in there real bad and I can't stand it !!!! Anyone have any answers ?
I would not use pellets...poison......we had mice in the basement once.... when we cleaned it out I found D-con every were, in old shirt pockets, in the cat litter even under and old rug.....they will move it and chickens could get a hold of it......if at all possible set traps up high or in a box or behind things chicks can not get at.....do not keep food in the coop, (it will stay cleaner as the chicks will be out were the food is) you may however have a bird as in sparrow problem,coming in to eat the feed, need to put bird netting all around ,then they fly in the door if that is open for hens to come in and out,,,can't win there but please do not take the chance of poisoning them

x2
goodpost.gif

QUESTION,,,one of my hens is sick,, But I know what the problem is ...so she is 4yrs, plus. and last night she had been in the nest box a long time and when I picked her up there was raw egg so now I know one that has been laying soft and shell-less eggs, I soaked her bottom in epsomsalts,hot water,she is still not looking herself today so I thought I should give her some antibiotics, I have Tetracyclie on hand do you think that would work?I also noticed a small scab (bumble) on the bottom of her foot, treating that to,

I have been lurking. This thread is so difficult to keep up with! I finally got my brooder cabinets done....inspired by hillbilly hens. Eggs are in the incubator, but only have 12 out of 60 developing. Hot weather during shipment zapped them I think. In my " grand plan" I also thought I would have the coop and run done by now... Ha ha. Hoping to work on the coop next week. I learn a lot from your stories! Hope to have pictures of my own to share soon.

Withdrawal times are determined by how long a chemical stays in the body tissues (and therefore transferred to eggs as well). Just because a chemical is used on people does not mean that it is safe for all people. Some folks can have severe reactions to even quite small amounts of certain medications that are generally considered safe. For example, praziquantel is contraindicated in the first trimester of pregnancy. You can be well into your first trimester before you know you are pregnant.

If you want to take the risk of disregarding withdrawal times that is entirely your personal perogative. However those eggs should never be sold or fed to people who are unaware of the risks involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom