Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this were the case, your chickens would also eat them things! You should see my neighbors chickens when they catch a mouse! Its like gladiator in the chicken arena!
Last year, my hens caught a mouse. It lasted all of 15 seconds.
I was watching the mallards earlier and they are darn good at catching flying insects.

Speaking of the ducks, the drake has been flying around the yard a bit and he returns to the last 2 hens as if to say, "look what I can do. Come with me". I expect that they will be leaving soon.
sad.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have a question. A couple of months ago I bought a used glavanized nest box. It has some rust on and in it. Can I paint it to spruce it up? Or leave it alone? I don't want to paint if it may harm the chickens picking at it or the fumes.

I have a question. A couple of months ago I bought a used glavanized nest box. It has some rust on and in it. Can I paint it to spruce it up? Or leave it alone? I don't want to paint if it may harm the chickens picking at it or the fumes.
You could sand or wire brush it, then prime and paint with non-toxic, low VOC paint. Give it several days to dry well. But I think that is too much work (for me at least).
I have a couple of old galvanized buckets and wash tubs that I use here and there in the coop and run. I don't recall seeing the chickens peck at any of the rust spots if I leave the containers in the run. I suppose I should watch a little closer.

Font size 18...

today I counted how many birds are actively laying since my recent losses. 12. 2 in brood. 7 to young. 2 I don't know the sex yet. I got 11 eggs today. But while I was counting hens, I could not find Vonna. I went to get a treat, started whistling, everyone comes running but not her. I went to the far back, turned around and she is coming from the front. She looks awful. I get up close to her, and her feathers are all droopy, even her butt fuzz. Then she shakes out so much black dirt, I swear she could fill a pot. The little chit was in the garden bathing! Ah! Dang chicken. I guess where I just took out the peas was just too tempting.

Bob, my personal opinion with regard to hatching eggs with broody hens is to leave them alone. I would not even attempt to candle them because disturbing the hen can cause her to quit. I have notice that often a hen will kick eggs out of the nest or to one side where she doesn't sit on them. I have found that they eggs usually haven't started to develop. I doubt if you would be able to candle the eggs that you got from me. The primary cause of problems with broody hens is usually too much human involvement.

Rustoleum paint works well for painting galvanized metal that has started to rust. Once the paint has thoroughly dried it won't be a problem for your birds

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom