Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow day - I sat almost an hour and watched one of my newest layers. I caught her eating an egg the other day, however she was under a pile of three other hens all in the same nest box. It wasn't her egg and I'm sure it was broken in the pile up. But I wasn't sure which eggs she was laying. She is a cochin welsummer cross and it turns out she has a beautiful purple brown egg.

Then I updated all my poultry/fowl records. I have every bird I have owned by name, when and where it came from and if it leaves/dies and the date. Over the past 2 years I have had 130 birds and 26 different breeds. And yes all have had names.

Last edited:
Both Remington and Winchester offer products that will end a cat's predilection for spraying or urinating indoors. Only one treatment needed.

I have a broody. Decided I was going to let her hatch out some quail. Ordered Northern Bobwhites. I paid for 24, got 30...and they look like button quail eggs they are so tiny.
I crushed one while opening the container- put my thumb nail right through it. One had a hole, and one had a slow leak. So, I have set 27.
Absolutely NO way I can put these under my broody. She would think I gave her mini-marshmellows and probably eat them up.

All of you with cats that have inappropriate urination- may I suggest first a urinalysis to make sure they do not have a uti, a feliway disperser- feliway is a natural pheromone that helps wonderful with behavioral issues...and also, for the old ones- many many older cats have arthritis and no longer want to jump into the litterbox- arthritis is worse after you have been laying down sleeping for awhile- so, I have had clients that have success with cutting out the end of the box, or the side, so the cat only has to walk right in and not step over the side. Crating at night if that doesnt help, may stop the problem.

I have a broody. Decided I was going to let her hatch out some quail. Ordered Northern Bobwhites. I paid for 24, got 30...and they look like button quail eggs they are so tiny.
I crushed one while opening the container- put my thumb nail right through it. One had a hole, and one had a slow leak. So, I have set 27.
Absolutely NO way I can put these under my broody. She would think I gave her mini-marshmellows and probably eat them up.

All of you with cats that have inappropriate urination- may I suggest first a urinalysis to make sure they do not have a uti, a feliway disperser- feliway is a natural pheromone that helps wonderful with behavioral issues...and also, for the old ones- many many older cats have arthritis and no longer want to jump into the litterbox- arthritis is worse after you have been laying down sleeping for awhile- so, I have had clients that have success with cutting out the end of the box, or the side, so the cat only has to walk right in and not step over the side. Crating at night if that doesnt help, may stop the problem.

My cat is healthy... unfortunately. That would be a great way out of his issue. He uses the litter box all day without any problems, even the one in the mudroom which requires him to climb through the kitty door, gets around fine. The pheromones work to a degree, but only where you spray them. He will go find a new spot and will pee on anything that gets left on the floor as well (which, with three kids leaving things lay around is fairly often). His preferred area is under the dining room windows because the barn cats would spray the bush outside. Unfortunately, it's the only room that has carpeting in the entire house. I hate carpeting so it's no big deal to get rid of it. I think I will resume putting him in the cat carrier at night though. When our last house was up for sale I would do that to keep the smell down for showings. It worked but he hates it. We just got back from a week of vacation and who knows how many peeings that have dried in the flooring.

LOL, I almost missed the Remington and Winchester suggestion!
lau.gif

My cat is healthy... unfortunately. That would be a great way out of his issue. He uses the litter box all day without any problems, even the one in the mudroom which requires him to climb through the kitty door, gets around fine. The pheromones work to a degree, but only where you spray them. He will go find a new spot and will pee on anything that gets left on the floor as well (which, with three kids leaving things lay around is fairly often). His preferred area is under the dining room windows because the barn cats would spray the bush outside. Unfortunately, it's the only room that has carpeting in the entire house. I hate carpeting so it's no big deal to get rid of it. I think I will resume putting him in the cat carrier at night though. When our last house was up for sale I would do that to keep the smell down for showings. It worked but he hates it. We just got back from a week of vacation and who knows how many peeings that have dried in the flooring.

LOL, I almost missed the Remington and Winchester suggestion!
lau.gif
If he hasnt had a urinalysis done, I suggest that, regardless of how healthy he appears. Crystals can also cause inappropriate urination- cats are masters of disguise and may appear healthy and not be. Sometimes the only symptom is inappropriate urination. Also, if he uses the litterbox fine during the day but at night does not, failing sight and arthritis may be a reason. Try a nightlight and also remember arthritis hurts worse later on in the day, evening, and after laying down for awhile.
There is also plug-ins for feliway which covers 700 square feet.

:( Good luck.

I am seriously thinking of buying a couple hundred eggs and incubating them and raising them and then releasing them.

I am seriously thinking of buying a couple hundred eggs and incubating them and raising them and then releasing them.
well
tongue.png
my hubby has a great place for release if you get Northern Bobwhite that are native. The family farm where he hunts in Hillsdale. Thats where my extras will be going.

tongue2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom