Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that a poorly prepared pickle does tend to perturb people.
okay, that response made me laugh OUTLOUD, sitting here in my dark living room...alone...
lau.gif
Sam, you are too much!

You know, I saw a post on another states thread that caught my attention and I had to click on it...why was I surprised to see you were the instigator of the blue-kote comment?:

lau.gif
I am not an instigator. I merely commented on a thread originally posted by one of my own people.
I know that a poorly prepared pickle does tend to perturb people.
My kitchen stinks of dill, garlic and spices. I'm sure that some pickle-pusses will object. At least I'm not cooking sauerkraut or kim chi.
hide.gif

I wimped out and went out into the scary dark and brought Clover and her friend Cotton in- big ole Flemish, wimpy owner. Its supposed to storm significantly tonight and I worry they wont go into their house- but try and take cover under the shrubs. SO, now that they are hopping around like normal in here, I can go to bed.

Big ole storm will probably miss us- maybe I should go roll the truck window down. They usually guarantees it will rain.

I wimped out and went out into the scary dark and brought Clover and her friend Cotton in- big ole Flemish, wimpy owner. Its supposed to storm significantly tonight and I worry they wont go into their house- but try and take cover under the shrubs. SO, now that they are hopping around like normal in here, I can go to bed.

Big ole storm will probably miss us- maybe I should go roll the truck window down. They usually guarantees it will rain.
Goodnight Kim and sweet dreams. Talk tomorrow.

Quote:
Hi guys....need some prayers here. My nephew was one of the 4 soldiers killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on Wednesday; he grew up in Shelby Township and graduated from West Point last June. He was due to come home in January. We are heartbroken. I understand at least one other young man was from Rochester and a third may be from Charlevoix.
sad.png
I am sorry to hear that. I thank your family for their service.
hugs.gif

I'm not sure how this all happened, but this must be beyond chicken math, this must be chicken calculus. Or maybe, those imaginary numbers got in there somehow!
Umm... you lost me in the beginning somewhere!
My son asked me to post his creation... I know it has no bearing... but, he asked so I am.
That is neat! Where did he make this? Kudos on the creativity!
Sorry to have caused members to get so heated. I didn't realize my opinions would set others off so much. I will probably just lurk for awhile since I'm not feeling the warm welcome fuzzies anymore.
hu.gif
When I first came on here I too commented on factory farms... more specifically, documetaries I watched about different ways to farm. I watched Food Inc., Fresh, and one or two others. I did not mean to step on toes.
I do not want to see you leave.
In my opinion, it is a watch what you say kind of a thread...

If someone is in need of educating... maybe we should provide websites for additional reading, instead of flogging.
I'm getting an egg from one of the new girls that is a light cream colour that looks more pink than any other colour I can describe.

Whoda thunk Oester eggs occur naturally?
lau.gif
My mom and I can't remember what breed the hens were that we had years ago... but one laid a pink/peach to cream egg and the other laid a green/blue to cream egg. Beautiful eggs!
He pulled a half-chewed mattress over the trench made by the dog.
WHAT????? WHO DOES THAT?
Yea, ducks! Party at my house.
Party at RaZ's again!!!!
We are a great group here- and I appreciate you all.
I was missing my brother very strongly today
Sorry to here you were feeling a little lost today. While I don't know what it is like to lose a sibling, I do know how it feels to want to call/talk someone and you can't... you just can't because they aren't here anymore.

We all have something to add. We all have something to learn.
I like RaZ's saying "each one, teach one" too!

Yay! Someone replied to my ad for a roo...
I am selling...
What questions are good ones to ask before agreeing to rehome with this person?

How will he will be transported?
What they want him for?
How many other chickens they have?
Disease?
(Are these questions rude? I don't just want to send him off.)

Should I deliver the roo so I can see where he will be living?

One of the unfortunate realities of raising chickens is that there will always be more roosters than you can have or use. I have on occasion taken them to slaughter weight but with many breeds that isn't terribly cost effective. So now I cull them as newly hatched chicks. It's a sad task that I wish I didn't have to do but it is a reality of poultry raising.

Unless you are willing to do the same the only two options left to you are selling them or giving them away. Since there is a very limited demand for cockerels or roosters I don't think you can or should be too picky about what they want them for, just be glad that they are relieving you of the responsibility.

Yay! Someone replied to my ad for a roo...
I am selling...
What questions are good ones to ask before agreeing to rehome with this person?

How will he will be transported?
What they want him for?
How many other chickens they have?
Disease?
(Are these questions rude? I don't just want to send him off.)

Should I deliver the roo so I can see where he will be living?

Like Opa said, you can't be too picky. Almost no one wants roos and I end up giving all of mine away unless they're a specialty bantam or something. Although now I have a neighbor down the road that will take any roos I have because he butchers them himself for his large family. Good enough for me as long as they aren't here. I have learned most people won't spend money on a standard sized roo, at least not around here! I don't have the ability to let them be culled as babies so I wait to see their personality. I'm glad I have because a few of them have turned out to be very sweet and they continue to live here.

I chose to butcher mine when they are eating age. They are good for soups and stock, shredding for salads and tacos. I guess if some one wanted them for anything other than eating, I'd give them or sell em, but I figure, why give away a perfectly good meal that spent money and time on? 5-10 bucks from a perspective buyer... Well that does not cover my cost. But the cockerel sure will fill my kids bellies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom