Mille Fleur Booted Bantams..............Not Bearded

Nice birds! I especially like your porcelain (or izabel?) rooster and hen. Your mille fleur are darker than mine. I'm wondering if they have the mahogany gene? The rooster looks like he may be a bit younger than the hens. The hens have much more mottling than he does.

I am working on a Lemon (Citron) mille fleur now. All the parent stock are grown up, now it's time to start mixing and see what I get!

Here are some of my little ones. This is my first time raising them and I'm surprised at how tiny they are. They make the Silkie chicks (hatched out the same day) look like giants.

Pretty sure this is what I have (Mille Fleur Booted Bantam). Pretty sure it's also a boy, about 6 weeks old and just starting to show some white spots. The lady who gave it to me didn't know what it was, gender or breed. He sure is spunky, overly friendly and great at catching bugs. I've never had a bantam before but I really like the little guy.

Here are some of my little ones....

A mink got into the barn over the week-end and massacred my all of booted bantams (including all of those in the above picture) except two, as well as my pair of blue bantam cochins and all of my Silkies (even our sweet little 7 y/o pet) save one little partridge Silkie that I hatched out in June. The little assassin even got my best broody, who was on eggs at the time. Traps are set, but at night I'm putting my remaining chickens in cages with small mesh wire until that thing is caught. Since it also attacked during the day (attacked our pair of Welsh Harlequin ducks, killing the hen), I am letting the Jack Russell stay outside during the day with the remaining chickens when they are free-ranging in the back yard. Hopefully the WH drake survives (he's not in the best of shape), so he's staying in the house for now.

The description of the 2 breeds is exactly the same except for the beard.
Also, there is a slight difference in the posture. The space between the back of the neck and the tail has a different shape. One is shaped like a U and the other like a V, but yes, other than that and the beard, they are very similar. Similar enough that I got fooled. Thought I was buying d'uccles but ended up with booted and one bearded one that has no white on her at all.

He turned out to be a beautiful little rooster. I put him in with three d'Uccles and just hatched five chicks from them, for fun (I'm not a breeder). They all look completely different from one another. I have no idea of the parentage of either hens (breeder was getting rid of their d'Uccle breeding project) or rooster (same deal) so who knows what's in there.

But they're cute.

I have two lemon milliefluers, they have just the best personalitlies. One as soon as we open the coop will jump into our hands and jump on our knee's or even head (when sun bathing ) lol Wouldnt have a group/flock without some :)

I'm in the process of reducing/retiring and my flock of breeder birds and this year's hatch are for sale. I have almost every color of booted and even some non-standard, buff Columbian, pied, etc. I can give great deals but you have to pay for the shipping if you're not local to north bay California. Let me know.

David

Back
Top Bottom