MINI REX KINDLED 6 KITS! TWO ARE SMALL???

DrakeMom

Songster
5 Years
Mar 20, 2019
El Campo, Texas
My Mini Rex doe kindled last night/early this morning. I counted 4 kits but upon further investigation, I realized there were actually 6! And two of them were alot smaller than the other 4...

Back story: usually when I breed my rabbits, I leave them together till I see at least 3 fall-offs. This time I decided to try leaving them together for about half a month. I watched 2 fall-offs and counted 31 days from then. Halfway through the month I separated them. She wasn't even nesting at the 31st day. One week later she started nesting and a week after that(today) she kindled. So... what's y'alls thoughts? Why did she have 6 kits and two of them small? Usually she has 3 kits. She's had 4 litters previous to this.
20210702_094908.jpg

20210702_094959.jpg

One of the smallest kits☝︎

My Mini Rex doe kindled last night/early this morning. I counted 4 kits but upon further investigation, I realized there were actually 6! And two of them were alot smaller than the other 4...

Back story: usually when I breed my rabbits, I leave them together till I see at least 3 fall-offs. This time I decided to try leaving them together for about half a month. I watched 2 fall-offs and counted 31 days from then. Halfway through the month I separated them. She wasn't even nesting at the 31st day. One week later she started nesting and a week after that(today) she kindled. So... what's y'alls thoughts? Why did she have 6 kits and two of them small? Usually she has 3 kits. She's had 4 litters previous to this.View attachment 2744784
View attachment 2744786
One of the smallest kits☝︎
Oh how precious!! :love

It's likely two are just runty. They might be fine or they might not make it.

She likely didn't take the first two times, and that's why she was late
I sure hope they're just runts and make it. I had this whole theory in my head that maybe she got pregnant and then got pregnant again and kindled when the first pregnancy was to term and the second litter is just underdeveloped. I probably isn't even possible but I sounds cool lol.

I've heard of "peanut" babies from someone who raises Holland Lops but I don't know if that can occur with Mini Rexs. The "peanuts" apparently happen when a baby gets two of the dwarf gene for those of you that don't know.

I sure hope they're just runts and make it. I had this whole theory in my head that maybe she got pregnant and then got pregnant again and kindled when the first pregnancy was to term and the second litter is just underdeveloped. I probably isn't even possible but I sounds cool lol.

I've heard of "peanut" babies from someone who raises Holland Lops but I don't know if that can occur with Mini Rexs. The "peanuts" apparently happen when a baby gets two of the dwarf gene for those of you that don't know.
It's possible for a rabbit to have two pregnancies, but usually they have labor for each batch separately and the first litter is killed off because she knows she's pregnant and needs to conserve her milk for the ones not born yet.

Yeah those just look smaller like runts. They don’t look like peanuts to me, but Mini Rex can have peanuts. I don’t think they are though so that’s good! It’s always exciting when a litter is born. Congrats!

Thank all y'all for your reassurance!
I'm on a trip right now and their caretaker says they're doing great! When I get home though I'll send update pics!

Definitely runts. Peanuts would be deformed.

Since there's only six total, she has a good chance of being able to feed everyone at the same time, so they likely will be ok.

I had a Silver Fox that would have huge litters, like 9-13. If I didn't have another doe that kindled a smaller litter at the same time that I could use as a foster, I would cull any runts. They just didn't stand a chance against the bigger littermates.

Congratulations on the new buns!

I found this in an article from threelittleladiesrabbitry.com
20210705_105237.jpg

I do agree that mine could be runts but just wanted to insert this for anyone else.

I just arrived home... one of the smallest kits was dead and the black one is looking really skinny. He's still pretty active but... what're y'alls thoughts...?
20210705_201949.jpg
20210705_201928.jpg

P.s. that's not their nest so don't freak out. I just put them in there for the photo.

Back
Top Bottom