Mini vent/rant about girlfriend and rabbits

ScarletHarvest

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2019
Hi guys, been a long while since I last logged in. I have a minor vent i need to get off of my chest.

A couple of months ago I moved in with my girlfriend. Those first weeks or so, she happily assisted around the rabbitry as we had discussed and agreed on. I usually took care of more intricate and complicated chores while she did simple things like watering and feeding everyone. Eventually i started taking on more of the chores because she was in pain for a long long while. It finally got under control though to the point she should be able to assist me once again with small easy chores. She really hasn't though..

I work third and if i ask if she can go check on them or see if anyone needs their water refreshed i find out her mother or father had done so instead (forgot to say we live with her parents). I have also been having to wake up at the butt crack of dawn after getting home and into bed around 1am and dawn is at roughly 5 am. Just to make sure everyone is watered and fed while it is still cool before it gets to bright/hot out. This is seriously cutting into my sleep as i usually have a hard time falling BACK to sleep once awake. It would just be nice if for once, she could do that instead since she is usually up about that time anyway and she is home all day (she doesn't work).

Another thing is recently she witnessed her first cull/butcher of an unproductive doe. The final straw for this doe was when she tried castrating my very sweet and favorite buck. After all was said and done I was casually mentioning how a different doe (who at the time was also being unproductive) was going to be culled soon as well if she didn't produce a litter soon. My gf knows i have a very low tolerance for rabbits who can't justify keeping themselves around either by producing meat or decent show animals. Part of it being we are very limited on available cages at the moment, so i have gotten VERY picky about who gets to stay and who goes.

Well she started hinting that she would rather see that particular doe pet homed. Knowing this doe like i do, i knew she would not make good pet material because while she is not aggressive.. She is very skittish and just doesn't exactly enjoy human interaction. Plus the FB group she wanted to advertise her in was one of those Pets for free rehoming in XYZ state.

I love my girlfriend and all but.. Idk i guess it just annoys me that she wants to make such big decisions when she doesn't even really help in the rabbitry (please note the rabbit she wants to rehome is not her pet nor does it belong to her. I had this doe long before we started dating). Does it make me an asshole for thinking that way?

Hi guys, been a long while since I last logged in. I have a minor vent i need to get off of my chest.

A couple of months ago I moved in with my girlfriend. Those first weeks or so, she happily assisted around the rabbitry as we had discussed and agreed on. I usually took care of more intricate and complicated chores while she did simple things like watering and feeding everyone. Eventually i started taking on more of the chores because she was in pain for a long long while. It finally got under control though to the point she should be able to assist me once again with small easy chores. She really hasn't though..

I work third and if i ask if she can go check on them or see if anyone needs their water refreshed i find out her mother or father had done so instead (forgot to say we live with her parents). I have also been having to wake up at the butt crack of dawn after getting home and into bed around 1am and dawn is at roughly 5 am. Just to make sure everyone is watered and fed while it is still cool before it gets to bright/hot out. This is seriously cutting into my sleep as i usually have a hard time falling BACK to sleep once awake. It would just be nice if for once, she could do that instead since she is usually up about that time anyway and she is home all day (she doesn't work).

Another thing is recently she witnessed her first cull/butcher of an unproductive doe. The final straw for this doe was when she tried castrating my very sweet and favorite buck. After all was said and done I was casually mentioning how a different doe (who at the time was also being unproductive) was going to be culled soon as well if she didn't produce a litter soon. My gf knows i have a very low tolerance for rabbits who can't justify keeping themselves around either by producing meat or decent show animals. Part of it being we are very limited on available cages at the moment, so i have gotten VERY picky about who gets to stay and who goes.

Well she started hinting that she would rather see that particular doe pet homed. Knowing this doe like i do, i knew she would not make good pet material because while she is not aggressive.. She is very skittish and just doesn't exactly enjoy human interaction. Plus the FB group she wanted to advertise her in was one of those Pets for free rehoming in XYZ state.

I love my girlfriend and all but.. Idk i guess it just annoys me that she wants to make such big decisions when she doesn't even really help in the rabbitry (please note the rabbit she wants to rehome is not her pet nor does it belong to her. I had this doe long before we started dating). Does it make me an asshole for thinking that way?
I can understand why she would want to take the rabbit to a pet home. I love my bunnies. They are literally my babies. But to want to make a decision like that and she’s not even helping out just isn’t fair. It definitely sounds like she needs to start doing more around the rabbitry. I personally would not put up with that. Since she doesn’t even work and you’re doing a ton of work it’s just not fair. You guys agreed on working around the rabbitry together so it should stay that way. You could try talking it over with her.

I can understand why she would want to take the rabbit to a pet home. I love my bunnies. They are literally my babies. But to want to make a decision like that and she’s not even helping out just isn’t fair. It definitely sounds like she needs to start doing more around the rabbitry. I personally would not put up with that. Since she doesn’t even work and you’re doing a ton of work it’s just not fair. You guys agreed on working around the rabbitry together so it should stay that way. You could try talking it over with her.
Methinks that would be an exercise in futility. I would be willing to bet she likes things just the way they are and the chances of her changing are slim and none. If you think about it, why should she?

Well, I'm not good with relationship advice, but I will say that with the right people, a skirmish rabbit could become quite friendly over time. Once shes fixed and someone takes the time to bond with her she could be a good pet. I would not just give her away though, add a rehoming fee to be sure she goes to a good home.

But it should still be your decision, it is your rabbit.

The chances of a rabbit having complications under surgery are slim to none. I’ve had four rabbits now who’ve gone under surgery for neutering/spaying and they all did great. One of those rabbits also had another surgery later in life to get one of her eyes removed since it was in pain and couldn’t be fixed. She was four years old and did wonderful. I’ve never had any complications with rabbits and surgery. I know some have and there is a possibility of complications. Humans and surgery is also a slight risk as well. It just depends on the situation like how old the rabbit is.

Back
Top Bottom