Minimal wire gauges for different predators?

Most 1/2" HC is 19 ga, tho can be ordered in 16ga.
1/4" HC is 23ga, not sure it comes heavier.
Most field fencing(welded wire or woven wire) is 14ga,
comes in different sized meshes 1x1, 1x2, 2x3, 2x4 are most common, 1x1 and 1x2 are often called 'cage mesh'.
It can be confusing, hope that helps.

It's just that in searching for answers myself, I saw that a lot of other people had asked similar questions and got no real response either, so I thought it would be helpful. Lots of people pre-search for wire online before going comparing prices to a local hardware store, etc, or to see what a store has in stock. All wire is described with a specific gauge, and of course prices depend on the gauge usually. I know a lot of people are on a budget and may choose something they think is right, but the gauge may be way to thin, or excessively thick, etc. Probably seems like a silly question for those who are familiar with building or construction, or people married to someone super handy, but for those who are not, and trying to build something for the first time the best they can, those details help. Obviously any suggestions are helpful, but gauge is kind of important. The idea is to get something secure, but not overspend on something excessive either. If we all had unlimited budgets, would be a different story, lol.
You are right, and wire gauge in product descriptions is a reference tool. There is more to choosing wire products than gauge though. The main purpose of a fence is to provide a physical barrier to entry. In almost all cases, the effectiveness of that barrier has more to do with opening size than tensile strength. For example, a 2"x4" mesh welded wire fence of 16ga will keep a raccoon out. A 6" x8" mesh cattle panel of 9ga will not. It is the compromise between gauge and mesh size that determines effectiveness. Another factor is workability. The heavier the wire the harder to install and tension properly. The predators themselves are another factor. I have seen few cases where a predator will sit still and chew on a fence. To escape a cage or trap, yes but not normally a fence. For two reasons I can think of immediately. First, most chicken predators are not Apex. The longer they stay exposed the higher their chances of becoming prey. And second, most aren't willing to risk damage to their mouths. They make their living with their teeth and mouth. They know that injury can lead to starvation and death. In most cases, the "good enough" lighter gauge is exactly "good enough"

sorry, i realized that after. Wasn't sure what HC meant... hardware cloth, duh. I'm stressing too hard about making them safe. I dont want to go overboard, just make it safe. Thanks for your suggestion. Definitely looks impenetrable.
Do yourself a favor. Relax. A coop shouldn't be a source of stress. Worrying about details like what gauge wire is really not necessary. They're all effective, the only thing I can see that changes is the price tag. Choose based on the function you want, and what the budget will support. Also consider that it doesn't have to be one purchase. Most start out basic and expand and improve as time money and needs grow. We all want our flocks safe, do the best you can. Don't lose focus on the fact that raising chickens should be enjoyable.

Do yourself a favor. Relax. A coop shouldn't be a source of stress. Worrying about details like what gauge wire is really not necessary. They're all effective, the only thing I can see that changes is the price tag. Choose based on the function you want, and what the budget will support. Also consider that it doesn't have to be one purchase. Most start out basic and expand and improve as time money and needs grow. We all want our flocks safe, do the best you can. Don't lose focus on the fact that raising chickens should be enjoyable.
Ditto Dat^^^
I understand tho....
....researching chicken needs is like getting a sip of water out of a full bore fire hose.

I spent like 6 months reading and planning(and changing plans) before cutting wood and buying wire....and I'm an equipment designer by trade, so I kind of enjoyed it, but it was still pretty overwhelming.

Hang in there!

Back
Top Bottom