Minnesota!

Sorry to hear you are hurting @duluthralphie

I hope this rain takes some of the humidity down. It's supposed to be 87 here today so I'm not holding my breayhe

Thanks, I was just whining to whine. I so hate taking the pills because when I finally get to sleep, I sleep till noon, like today.

Sure feels good right now, I have only 20% humidity outside!

Rain and cooler temps are here!

Well, for the second.

I have not been able to sleep last night, so this will be a useless day. My knees hurt so bad I just laid there and tossed. Even the pills did not help.

I have a question for all you, If you have a pen how large does it have to be to free range? Is 1/4 acres enough? 1 acre. 10 acres? No fence anywhere? I doubt there is a right answer.

Just wondering. some one on another thread mentioned a very small fenced in area I thought and claimed they free ranged. Or is this like the deceptive ads on eggs for cage free, 20,000 birds in a large building, never see the sun, but are cage free.

I guess, I personally would have a hard time telling people I sell eggs to, the chickens are free range if they only get 1/4 acre to roam. Of course, right now my chickens would be in heaven if they got a 1/4 acre. Only another week or so and they get out again
Since I am in that situation, I say mine are pastured in warmer weather. They are penned during the rest of the year except for the extra males and oddball layers that are outdoors and have free access to their coop, which, this year may be a hoop house.

Imagine my surprise when one of our new brown egg layers laid a white egg. We only have brown layers so I'm assuming whichever hen it was just doesn't have her brown ink cartridge installed correctly.
If they just started laying, could be she is just not in working condition yet. Then again, is it actually white or just really light brown/beige?

Wow. I didn't know it could affect the color of their eggs. Man, I've learned so much from you chicken experts. Glad I found this board!

It is called bleaching. As a hen comes to the end of a season and ready to molt, her face, wattles, earlobes and legs will fade out. Also, the color of their feathers fades or turns an off-shade. The yolk and egg color are actually pulled from their pigment in their body and is most noticeable in the skin bleaching. The eggs normally start darkest at the beginning of the laying cycle and get lighter over time.
That is why some 'chocolate eggers' like Welsummers and Marans, will lay lighter brown eggs with age also.
I have some BLRW hens that just look horrible right now, but once they grow back their feathers, they are as beautiful as ever, but you'd never guess it the way they are now.

I just thought to mention too, I have a pasture full of mostly tailless roosters. They are always the first feathers to drop on those boys and they look so silly!

I have a question for all you, If you have a pen how large does it have to be to free range? Is 1/4 acres enough? 1 acre. 10 acres? No fence anywhere? I doubt there is a right answer.

Just wondering. some one on another thread mentioned a very small fenced in area I thought and claimed they free ranged. Or is this like the deceptive ads on eggs for cage free, 20,000 birds in a large building, never see the sun, but are cage free.

I guess, I personally would have a hard time telling people I sell eggs to, the chickens are free range if they only get 1/4 acre to roam. Of course, right now my chickens would be in heaven if they got a 1/4 acre. Only another week or so and they get out again
Okay well I think there is "free ranging" and there is "Pastured". they are just words. and open to interpretation. For me Free Ranging is no fence whatsoever. But I will not snub my nose to some permaculture set up or mid sized egg business who "free ranges" with a long expensive solar electric poultry fencing involving rotation acres to protect his business investment. So I think Pastured is the better word for poultry who get grass under their feet and get to forage everyday in some manner.

It is called bleaching. As a hen comes to the end of a season and ready to molt, her face, wattles, earlobes and legs will fade out. Also, the color of their feathers fades or turns an off-shade. The yolk and egg color are actually pulled from their pigment in their body and is most noticeable in the skin bleaching. The eggs normally start darkest at the beginning of the laying cycle and get lighter over time.
That is why some 'chocolate eggers' like Welsummers and Marans, will lay lighter brown eggs with age also.
I have some BLRW hens that just look horrible right now, but once they grow back their feathers, they are as beautiful as ever, but you'd never guess it the way they are now.

I just thought to mention too, I have a pasture full of mostly tailless roosters. They are always the first feathers to drop on those boys and they look so silly!
Gosh I learn more from you Minnie...everytime you type something! The feathers....I'm seeing the feathers change color on the fluffs. And I see it in their combs this time of year too. I didn't realize it was related to the eggs as well. Fascinating.

After the bleaching happens doesn't less color come back each time which can help determine the age of a hen? I read about it in my storeys guide but need to double check I am remembering right

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom