Minnesota!

That is amazing that he hasn't gotten frostbitten!  I see NONE.  My Wellies are envious of him!  All of my Wellie roosters have, even the one in the hoop that is about 20-degrees warmer than outside.  His is just on the back of the comb though, which is odd.  Maybe he isn't getting that part tucked under his wing.

Good job if that is how they are doing!

Thanks Minnie!!

Can I assume my chickens and goats are doing fine if they are moving around a lot every time I go out there, and there is no sign of frostbite or shivering? I'm amazed they are acting completely normal. It's coooolllld again tonight but everyone is eating, drinking, pooping, and moving around so I remain hopeful.

That would be the logical conclusion. Animals are hardier in the winter than we are.

Windchills in the morning are supposed to be -25 to -30. I am so not looking forward to going out tomorrow. I think our school will cancel, I am pretty sure that is the cutoff.

It just dawned on me, the reason she have such erratic weather must be so we never are out of things to talk about.

We're not so lucky.

The east and south windows are open a crack for ventilation. Hopefully that will help.

Am trying to plan a way to break my broodies. I have a large wire dog kennel and a couple of large cat carriers.

Would it be easier to put each hen in a separate carrier in the coop?

We're not so lucky.

The east and south windows are open a crack for ventilation. Hopefully that will help.

Am trying to plan a way to break my broodies. I have a large wire dog kennel and a couple of large cat carriers.

Would it be easier to put each hen in a separate carrier in the coop?

I got lucky and this cold snap broke my broody BA. She was persistent too! I guess huddling for warmth on the roost was a better option for her

I have been letting the goats out of the barn for a couple hours a day (they have a three sided south facing porch to hang out in). Today it isn't supposed to get above 0 at all, so I think I will keep them in the barn all day. The barn is actually a renovated very old garage...and the stall the goats are enclosed in is only about 10 x 10. It's sort of insulated. Lots of hay for bedding. Poor goats.

I got lucky and this cold snap broke my broody BA. She was persistent too! I guess huddling for warmth on the roost was a better option for her

As of last night mine are content in the nesting boxes. It's annoying the others who want to lay their eggs in their favorite place. It's so funny to watch two hens squeeze into one box

As of last night mine are content in the nesting boxes. It's annoying the others who want to lay their eggs in their favorite place. It's so funny to watch two hens squeeze into one box

One of my coops has nest boxes made of Rubbermaid totes and I have seen up to 3 hard headed hens cram into one tote at once
Cracks me up!

I still have one broody hen. I think the others must just go in there and lay with her because she usually has a hoard of eggs under her. I may bring her in and try to break her one more time.

Looks like the weather will be "warming" up starting tomorrow. That'll make my girls much, much, much, happier. I haven't let them out to free range. I'm pretty sure they're sick of their coop and run.

ir
And for everyone's laughing pleasure.....

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Minnesota.
If you feel proud that your state makes the national News 96 nights each year, because International Falls is the coldest spot in the nation, you might live in Minnesota.
If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might live in Minnesota.
If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you might live in Minnesota.
If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Minnesota.
If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might live in Minnesota.
If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you might live in Minnesota.
If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy, you might live in Minnesota.
If vacation means going up north past Virginia for the weekend, you might live in Minnesota.
If you know how to say Wayzata, Mahtomedia, Edina, Shakopee, Winton and Ely, you might live in Minnesota.
If you measure distance in hours, you might live in Minnesota.
If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you might live in Minnesota.
If you often switch from heat to A/C in the same day and back again, you might live in Minnesota.
If you see people wearing hunting clothes at special events, you might live in Minnesota.
If you can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you might live in Minnesota.
If you install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked, you might live in Minnesota.
If you think of the major food groups as beer, fish and venison, you might live in Minnesota.
If you carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them, you might live in Minnesota.
If there are seven empty cars running in the parking lot at Zups Grocery Store at any given time, you might live in Minnesota.
If you design your kids Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you might live in Minnesota.
If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you might live in Minnesota.
If you know all four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you might live in Minnesota.
If you consider Minneapolis exotic, you might live in Minnesota.
If your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your blue spruce, you might live in Minnesota.
If "down south" means Iowa, if a brat is something you eat, and if you go out to a fish fry every Friday, you might live in Minnesota.
If you find 0 degrees "a little chilly," you really just might live in Minnesota!

I still have one broody hen. I think the others must just go in there and lay with her because she usually has a hoard of eggs under her. I may bring her in and try to break her one more time. Looks like the weather will be "warming" up starting tomorrow. That'll make my girls much, much, much, happier. I haven't let them out to free range. I'm pretty sure they're sick of their coop and run.
ir
And for everyone's laughing pleasure.....
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Minnesota. If you feel proud that your state makes the national News 96 nights each year, because International Falls is the coldest spot in the nation, you might live in Minnesota. If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might live in Minnesota. If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you might live in Minnesota. If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Minnesota. If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might live in Minnesota. If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you might live in Minnesota. If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy, you might live in Minnesota. If vacation means going up north past Virginia for the weekend, you might live in Minnesota. If you know how to say Wayzata, Mahtomedia, Edina, Shakopee, Winton and Ely, you might live in Minnesota. If you measure distance in hours, you might live in Minnesota. If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you might live in Minnesota. If you often switch from heat to A/C in the same day and back again, you might live in Minnesota. If you see people wearing hunting clothes at special events, you might live in Minnesota. If you can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you might live in Minnesota. If you install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked, you might live in Minnesota. If you think of the major food groups as beer, fish and venison, you might live in Minnesota. If you carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them, you might live in Minnesota. If there are seven empty cars running in the parking lot at Zups Grocery Store at any given time, you might live in Minnesota. If you design your kids Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you might live in Minnesota. If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you might live in Minnesota. If you know all four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you might live in Minnesota. If you consider Minneapolis exotic, you might live in Minnesota. If your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your blue spruce, you might live in Minnesota. If "down south" means Iowa, if a brat is something you eat, and if you go out to a fish fry every Friday, you might live in Minnesota. If you find 0 degrees "a little chilly," you really just might live in Minnesota!
*laughing* Love it! Thanks for sharing! I'd never thought about the potholes. :)

Back
Top Bottom