Minnesota!

I found one of my poor babies with a frozen foot tonight. He's a 3 month old LF partridge cochin and I brought him into the garage to warm up.

His foot is now hot and is 4 times the size it should be.

I'm giving him water with vitamins and electrolytes. Is there anything else that I should be doing? Possibly antibiotics?

I would start with some tetracycline as a frost bitten anything is acceptable to gangrene. You could also give him a lukewarm bath for the foot to help with circulation. I add some dreft as it helps to clean and with infection. Make sure the foot is 100% dry or keep the chicken in the house. Right now I have 3 in the basement .

I think you should pm Aoxa (she is the only one with that user name). She had a little hen, (Margaret) that stepped into a water dish and froze her foot, and she can tell you about her recovery. The hen lost the foot, but got around just fine on the stump.

I'm sorry this happened, this has been a brutal winter.

@dipsychicks
I have the same problem with my roosters. I normally butcher roosters right before winter and then start fresh every spring but I don't like doing that. This year I am trying to keep all three of my roosters! So far so good.... Knock on wood!

I would start with some tetracycline as a frost bitten anything is acceptable to gangrene. You could also give him a lukewarm bath for the foot to help with circulation. I add some dreft as it helps to clean and with infection. Make sure the foot is 100% dry or keep the chicken in the house. Right now I have 3 in the basement .

Ok, thanks! I can't bring him into the house, but he can stay in our heated garage for a while.

I feel awful about what happened. I had just put him outside on Sunday. I should have known that he was too young to be out in these temperatures.

Last edited:
I think you should pm Aoxa (she is the only one with that user name). She had a little hen, (Margaret) that stepped into a water dish and froze her foot, and she can tell you about her recovery. The hen lost the foot, but got around just fine on the stump.

I'm sorry this happened, this has been a brutal winter.

Will do! Thanks for the advice.

Ok, thanks! I can't bring him into the house, but he can stay in our heated garage for a while.

I feel awful about what happened. I had just put him outside on Sunday. I should have known that he was too young to be out in these temperatures.
He also may not have been accustomed to the cold either. I have a hen that is determined to roost on the heated water dish. I caught he before it got so cold and was able to rig a blocker up. I took some wire and made a cage for it. She stopped that day. CLEAN WATER AGAIN!!!
We once.again have very frigid , cold weather. How does -22F this morning with wind chill -30 to -45F today. It is supposed to be 22F:barnie degrees tomorrow. That will be a.tropical heat wave.:barnie

He also may not have been accustomed to the cold either. I have a hen that is determined to roost on the heated water dish. I caught he before it got so cold and was able to rig a blocker up. I took some wire and made a cage for it. She stopped that day. CLEAN WATER AGAIN!!!
We once.again have very frigid , cold weather. How does -22F this morning with wind chill -30 to -45F today. It is supposed to be 22F:barnie degrees tomorrow. That will be a.tropical heat wave.
barnie.gif
yeah, it might have been just too much of a temp change if he was used to interior temps. We all learn the hard way!

And Tripell, I know! -22 this morning, it is just too cold. Eggs bust open frozen, so disappointing, not to mention the poor chickens.

Quote:
He went from a 68 degree house, to a 45 degree garage, to being outside over the course of 2 weeks. I have a feeling that he may have stepped in his water dish. Otherwise he should have been fine.

The swelling in his leg has gone down, but his foot is still very swollen. He has 3 large fluid filled blisters on his foot. His toes are a bit off color, but nothing major.

I've been soaking and massaging his foot all day long. Before bed, I put antibiotic ointment on the blisters and wrapped his foot in vet wrap. He's beginning to use his foot a bit more. I really hope he doesn't lose anything.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom