Minnesota!

I have two EE's, one started laying in October, then quit about 6 weeks later and still is not laying, the second one just started laying about 3 weeks ago. they were hatched around May 1st.
None of my girls are laying right now.
sad.png

For those asking if the chickens experience pain in their frost bitten combs. I believe that birds experience pain on a different level than humans, but frost bitten combs are a serious discomfort to them.
The larger the comb a chicken has the more likely it will be frost bitten. This is Minnesota after all, and we in the N.E. have had a pretty mild winter thus far. (Knock on wood.) In a normal winter most single comb chickens will experience frostbite unless they are kept in a situation with supplemental heat.
One should determine in advance of acquiring birds what type of housing and management you will provide for them. The best advice I could provide is to keep things as simple and easy as possible. The novelty of applying substances to combs to minimize frostbite soon loses its appeal. Dealing with temporary heating on the coldest days and nights soon becomes a painful chore.
One should choose a breed that is pleasing to them, but should also consider the practical aspects involved. I would love to have a flock of Black Minorcas, but I don't want to deal with providing a heated coop and that eliminates them for me. I also don't wish to provide artificial light to stimulate egg laying in winter, and I don't want to check the coop 3 & 4 times a day to collect eggs before freezing.
I have guineas to rid my property of ticks and to provide additional warning to my chickens as they free range in the non winter months. Anyone that says hawks will not bother large fowl chickens is wrong. Free range of a laying flock in summer provides quality eggs in good numbers and cuts down on the feed required to keep them in good condition.
Just some thoughts here that I am sure have been written previously, but for those new to the site it may provide something they have not read previously.

I understand completely, I have a RIR hen with a large comb who has gotten frostbite terribly this year, and going out when it's -20 to put Bag Balm on her comb is no fun. LOL.

I know plenty of people who's chickens enjoy the snow. Mine on the other hand think it's a chicken eating monster. LOL.
Chicken eating monster!
lol.png
LOL!!

American Kraut - Welcome to the world of chickens! and to the thread!
I do believe chickens have nerves in their combs, they must to feel when you touch them. Getting frostbite on your birds pretty much sucks, but in this climate, the only real way to avoid it is to get breeds that have more suitable combs for the climate, like pea combs, cushion combs, or walnut combs. Some rosecombs can handle it, but with those who have the longer spikes on the backs, they too get bitten off in the cold. I keep single combs anyway and find that those kept inside and DRY will suffer less frostbite. If they get wet in rain or slush or wet snow then it gets below 20-degrees, they will get damage. Now, I am mostly referring to the males. Females with larger single combs will get some damage as well in those cases. I have Welsummers and the males just can't make it through without losing half their combs and half their wattles. It is not fun to see that happen to them, but it is what it is. I love the breed and even with the use of Vicks or Bag Balm or Vaseline, I have not been about completely stave off frostbite on that breed. However, I used to breed Minorcas for the last 4 years (decided to cut back on some breeds this year and they went), and those birds got very little if any frostbite, and I am certain it was because their combs were thicker and therefore had more heat going to those parts. I don't add heat and I don't believe in adding heat and I even go so far as advising against adding heat to coops except for brooding chicks and juvies. What I do advise is keep your coop and birds clean and DRY DRY DRY. However, as many of us experienced this year, there are days when the humidity gets so high that keeping moisture out is near impossible.
Now, to plug my favorite breed for this climate... BUCKEYES!!! They are a fantastically hardy breed, developed as a northern bird that will withstand the cold. They are also (in my opinion) the perfect dual purpose breed which will produce a very good number of eggs and grow a very substantial carcass in a relatively short time compared to several other dual purpose breeds I have bred and raised. My Buckeyes have indoor/outdoor runs, and not a day goes by that they are not out in that run. They are the least bothered by the cold. They are also a very calm and even friendly without handling kind of breed. Rarely is a male aggressive toward humans and even aggression toward other birds is somewhat minimal, although, the hens do like to dominate other breeds when I turn them out on pasture.
Also, I find good sized Easter Eggers with small combs to hold up well in the cold, as well as Ameraucanas, Cochins (thought not great egg layers, are super friendly/calm).

Good luck with your start and enjoy this new world you are entering. It will take over your day in a hurry, but also in a good way. Just know, you have plenty of support here!
Thank you so much, Minniechickmama!! This is really helpful!

You all have been fantastic. I appreciate it so much!
thumbsup.gif

I did place an order from a hatchery, but I thought maybe I should ask here if anyone breeds or sells chicks, too. I'm interested in some of these lovely ones if anyone breeds them in Minnesota. I have friends and family from Mankato to Forest Lake to St. Cloud and in the spring my dad is up around Remer and I'm usually up for a road trip.

Australorp
Blue Ameraucana
Blue Orpington
Buff Orpington
Blue Cochin
Partridge Cochin
Brahma

I'd love a Cream Legbar

Sounds like Buckeyes are a favorite, too, and seems people like Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
I have Blue / Black Cochins plus Cream Legbars that i will be hopefully hatching come March.
Terrific! I love cochins and would really like a CL. Can I message you with my contact information or how do you prefer to take orders? March is a great time because I have my others coming in April.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom