Minnesota!

I built those new nests out of milk crates and the darn birds still refuse to use more than one nest! Yesterday there was even 2 hens in the nest at one time.
The nests are in banks of 3. Should I give up the fight and remove all but the bank they use? It would give them more floor space in the coop but would only leave 3 nests for 12 layers and 20 pullets due to lay in a few weeks hopefully

I have a fantastic deal for someone. (REALLY)

I have that Jake in Prison. He is a really nice looking large boned Slate Blue. I was going to keep him as one of my Breeders for next year. BUT I cannot have him harassing my other Jakes. If I separated the BBW he has been harassing and getting the others to harass, I am afraid he would just start in in my BBB's.

I hate to keep him locked up for the next 3 months. So I am willing to let him go at an extremely reasonable fee. Otherwise, I think I am going to have Cornish game turkey soon.

KlopKlop how could the Mrs, resist one sweet little tom??

Last edited:
I built those new nests out of milk crates and the darn birds still refuse to use more than one nest! Yesterday there was even 2 hens in the nest at one time.
The nests are in banks of 3. Should I give up the fight and remove all but the bank they use? It would give them more floor space in the coop but would only leave 3 nests for 12 layers and 20 pullets due to lay in a few weeks hopefully

I have 8 nests with my layers. They use 2 of them. Maybe 3 on a busy day. I have mine hung about 3 feet off the ground so they do not take up floor space.

I have never thought of blocking them out of any, Why would you do this? BTW once I got my layers into the winter coop, I found I only have 18 hens left from last year! I lost a couple to leg injuries, but something ate well this summer.

I have 8 nests with my layers. They use 2 of them. Maybe 3 on a  busy day.  I have mine hung about 3 feet off the ground so they do not take up floor space.

I have never thought of blocking them out of any, Why would you do this?        BTW once I got my layers into the winter coop, I found I only have 18 hens left from last year!  I lost a couple to leg injuries, but something ate well this summer.

I would remove them because the birds sit on them during the day and poo all over the straw. And because space is premium in that coop. I need to rearrange the thing before winter anyhow maybe I can figure out a way to improve the layout.

I used to have them stacked but they wouldn't go in the bottom row so I set them flat to see if that helped. Alas, no....

I would remove them because the birds sit on them during the day and poo all over the straw. And because space is premium in that coop. I need to rearrange the thing before winter anyhow maybe I can figure out a way to improve the layout.

I used to have them stacked but they wouldn't go in the bottom row so I set them flat to see if that helped. Alas, no....

WOW, that is weird, I cannot get mine to use the top row!

We have two girls already
As a father of three girls (and one son), prepare yourself for drama. Lots and lots of drama. Not sure how old your kids are (my daughters are 15 and younger), everything is a MAJOR issue. I know when my daughters (and wife) are in a bad mood, the entire house has to know about it and apparently we all have to be in a bad mood, but when my son and I are having a bad day we like to be left alone and eventually we'll come around. The difference between men and women?

Congrats!

As a father of three girls (and one son), prepare yourself for drama. Lots and lots of drama. Not sure how old your kids are (my daughters are 15 and younger), everything is a MAJOR issue. I know when my daughters (and wife) are in a bad mood, the entire house has to know about it and apparently we all have to be in a bad mood, but when my son and I are having a bad day we like to be left alone and eventually we'll come around. The difference between men and women?

Congrats!
I know what you mean, I grew up with 3 sisters and I think it made me a more patient person.

Congrats!

I have no idea, but I have a Daughter and a Son. When my Daughter hit 14 my life quality took a nose dive. I was dreading my Son reaching 14 but he went through his teens with no problems.

My daughter would succumb to every social pressure there was, my son, not so much. An the guys she wanted to date, well.....

However, I am so happy with the way they both turned out, both have good jobs, spouses and they gave me the best 4 grandkids in the world. So it is worth the "bad" days in the long run.

Maybe you could plan hunting and fishing trips for those bad times.

Back
Top Bottom