Minus 3F Degrees What's cookin' on my cast iron woodstove? Breakfast!

Once upon a time, there was a woodstove in this house, when it was my mother's. One of the doors became cracked and the thing in the back part inside that is to direct the flame and smoke towards the chimney, well it wasn't doing its job anymore either. Then in the earthquake of 89, right after I moved in with my family, it developed a crack all the way across the back of it. Needless to say, when ever we got the fire going, the wall behind would become very hot to the touch, and it started turning darker and darker brown. Well, I had to have it removed.
hmm.png

Around here, winter is usually 30's and 40's at night and summer is usually 40's and 50's at night, so the need for the space in the living room was greater than the need for a woodstove, so we never replaced it, and when we had the roof replaced, the chimney was done away with.
roll.png

Quote:
My kids all grew up with ours and so are my grandkids. The 2 grandbabies I babysit now are 2 and 19 months and they know it's hot and stay away from it. Only one of my kids ever got burned on it when he tripped and put his hand out to catch himself. You just need to teach them from the very beginning it's hot.

My boys must be hard headed. We told them and told them and told them to stay away because it was hot. But it only takes once of touching it and they never will again.

You have my sympathy if your boys are more hard headed than mine are!!! You are right tho....once is all it will take!!

In another thread on cast iron several people were concerned about the on-stick properties of a well seasoned pan.

I wanted to point out my pan is well seasoned. It is clean. I let it come up to high temp first. Then I oiled it a tiny bit for cooking on. Once it was ready I poured out the batter.

They don't stick.

I do not sacrifice first pancakes to the pan gods.

Now you know I am NOT that lady named Martha.
wink.png

1996_pancakes.jpg

I also do not oil the pan after the initial coating for the first pancakes.

Once a pan gets hot enough the food should release when it is ready to be turned.

1996_pancakes2.jpg

I want to show you all the quick clean up for my cast iron.

cleanup1.jpg

Everything is hot.

Wipe down the griddle pan and add a touch of oil and let it heat.

cleanup.jpg

I keep it stored in my oven.

The skillet I pour in water and let it come to a boil.

cleanup2.jpg

At the sink I swish it out with running water and a cloth.

cleanup3.jpg

Back on the heat to dry quick.

cleanup4.jpg

A drop of oil while hot and she too is stored in my oven.

Cleanup from breakfast was under 2 minutes.

Can't complain about that.

I thought y'all were coming for breakfast. Where ya at?

I use to store some of mine in my oven too, but I often wouldn't think to take them out before I pre-heated my oven for something so I'd have the hot cast iron to deal with so I quit doing that.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom