Miscellaneous Meeps - Hatching my Dreams

Glad you weren't hurt too seriously! Yeah, the knee-high boots are pretty miserable in the heat. My legs are nothing but sweat in them in the summer, so I switch to sandals... even though that kinda leaves my legs and feet vulnerable to curious pecks and mean little fuzzballs 😅

It is pretty funny, a small, round fluff jumping through the air at you 🤣 Wish he'd stop, though!! :tongue

I have no idea what it is that makes them flip. I've heard that some have had success retraining their boys, but I never have, personally, no matter what I try. :idunno

That's my least favorite part of hatching, too, dealing with all the cockerels I can't keep. Especially when they're such sweet boys. 🙁

Excited to see babies!! :pop

Yeah, my OEGBs were frequently internally pipping at day 18, and my Cochin bantams sometimes are already drawing down at day 18 by the time I'm candling them before moving them to lock down. :th
I just had two Cochin Bantams hatch on day 17!

Here is a Fizzy (EE) x Echo (BR) chick at 9.5 weeks, these grew like crazy!!!

Meet Miss Mable. She will be staying here in our layer flock, she's beautiful and friendly!
20240529_065137.jpg

She is pretty. Any idea what color egg she might lay?

Curious about the leg band also...reason?
So I don't know if Fizzy was homozygous or not for the blue egg gene. She does have a pea comb as do all but 1 of the 24 ish Fizzy chicks, so there's a good chance she will lay a green egg! Her mom lays a nice medium brown egg, so add the blue egg gene and she should lay a typical Easter Egger colored egg!

I used red to tag the ones I knew hatched from the BR eggs, as any chicks that were barred or had a white dot on their head would be male and solids would be female. I didn't have any hatch with a dot or start out barred, but I have some males with splotchy barring that started showing up about 4 to 5 weeks old.

I just realized last night our Dovey is a Davey 🥺 so, we have no purebred bantam Ameraucana pullets unless the very last one we hatched is a pullet, I can't tell for sure yet as it is too young.

Look at those pointy saddle feathers that I was obviously in denial about because I bet they've been out there waving at me for at least a week :th

20240528_204247.jpg

Here is a Fizzy (EE) x Echo (BR) chick at 9.5 weeks, these grew like crazy!!!

Meet Miss Mable. She will be staying here in our layer flock, she's beautiful and friendly!
View attachment 3847113
What a gorgeous bird!! :love
I just realized last night our Dovey is a Davey 🥺 so, we have no purebred bantam Ameraucana pullets unless the very last one we hatched is a pullet, I can't tell for sure yet as it is too young.

Look at those pointy saddle feathers that I was obviously in denial about because I bet they've been out there waving at me for at least a week :th

View attachment 3847148
Aww .... He can't help he's a he. 😁 Pretty! ♥️

What a gorgeous bird!! :love

Aww .... He can't help he's a he. 😁 Pretty! ♥️
I'm very happy with the Fizzy crosses! I'm really glad we hatched some, plus, there's bound to be a chick from my special Jersey in there. I know there's no way of know which would be hers, but just the chance that we are keeping a Jersey pullet makes it special ❤

I know what we'll do with the extra large fowl boys, but, what in the world do we do with these cute little extra boys??? They're so adorable and we're attached to both of these oldest cockerels. Davey was chilled the other night so I was holding him and he was all nestled down in my arms and any time I'd move my hand away he'd growl at me to put it back 🤣

View attachment 3847148
Oh my goodness isn’t he just gorgeous!!! I hope I don’t get this surprise in a couple of weeks with my am bantam babies! Fingers crossed that your last chick is a lovely female!!!

Oh my goodness isn’t he just gorgeous!!! I hope I don’t get this surprise in a couple of weeks with my am bantam babies! Fingers crossed that your last chick is a lovely female!!!
I know, he's so adorable and super sweet. The other cockerel is a fiesty bugger, he's always trying to get the big hens to come up to the fence and fight him when they are out. And if I let him out he goes and dances, prances, puffs up as big as possible and struts around the run of the layers. Thankfully Chonkers the rooster who is in with the big girls just ignores him 🤣

Back
Top Bottom