Mislabelled red stars?

Red Stars are a type of Red Sex Link and they are a cross of a red breed of rooster crossed with a white hen I think but I'm not sure what purebreds they use. The resulting chicks can be sexed by color at hatch, The roosters are always white, sometimes with a tiny bit of red but predominantly white. The pullets are always mostly red with a tiny bit of white. Rest assured, if your chicks are true Red Sex Links and are red they are pullets.

Last edited:
Kiekster the question is not what are sex links, but what are these chicks that are not feathering out like regular red sex-links.

I have 10 of these youngsters

Last edited:
Omg my red stars look like yours. While I'm not too concerned about the breed I am concerned about them being hens. I only bought them because the coloring supposedly indicated that they were female. Maybe it has something to do with the breeds that were crossed. The guy I bought mine from said I was getting cross breed of a white leghorn and a Rhode Island Red.
I was responding to Dashonna82's quote above. Clarifying that with a Red Sex Link of which a Red Star is one, red (gold) is always female, white (silver) is male. There is never any "supposedly" when it comes to Red Sex Links. lol! It also answers your post jmstar74 where you ask if any of yours are looking more roo or pullet. If what the guy sold you are true Red Sex Links then yours will show female or male by their color. Here is a link from BackYard Chickens talking about Sex Link chickens. In it you will see a chipmunk pattern Red Sex Link pullet and a chipmunk pattern Red Sex Link roo both similar to yours. Yours are not that far off from those so what I suggest is you compare the chicks you have. More silver=roo, more gold=pullet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information
Just to add, not all birds, even ones of the same breed or type and of the same sex feather out the same way at the same time. You could have all female Sex Links and have some more feathered out and some slowly catching up.

Last edited:
Looks like we have group 1 to group 3 crosses. I wonder what the final bird will look like, especially because none of mine have any white :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom