Missing back toe on baby chick

Chimichangas

Hatching
Apr 8, 2024
I need help, one of my baby chicks is missing its back toe. What can I do? Is it going to survive? I can provide photo if necessary. The chick was born this way. I just somehow didn’t notice until now, it is about 1 week old ish? Maybe less.

I need help, one of my baby chicks is missing its back toe. What can I do? Is it going to survive? I can provide photo if necessary. The chick was born this way. I just somehow didn’t notice until now, it is about 1 week old ish? Maybe less.
Eh, my aunt has a hen who got bad frostbite one year, the hen has a few little nubs and no full length toes. That hen is also very healthy and beautiful, if a little off balance.

Eh, my aunt has a hen who got bad frostbite one year, the hen has a few little nubs and no full length toes. That hen is also very healthy and beautiful, if a little off balance.
So it doesn’t completely eliminate its chances of survival right? Sorry, I’m just very worried it’s my first time :’) . At the very least the chick actually wants to survive and moves and stuff still.
Thanks!

So it doesn’t completely eliminate its chances of survival right? Sorry, I’m just very worried it’s my first time :’) . At the very least the chick actually wants to survive and moves and stuff still.
Thanks!
You new to this? I remember being super worried about everything too, the first time I hatched eggs. Believe me, that’s the least of your worries. I had a few bad hatches recently. I did a crazy stagger hatch, but it turned out ok ish.

So, I had 15 eggs in the incubator (20 egg, but mine are large, so it was at capacity. ) I had 3 that were frozen overnight, because my dumb bird laid them under the back porch. Those ones were obviously dead by day seven. Now, around day fourteen, Russel, one of my Rhode Island Reds, went into a weird sort of half broody state. She sat on and off for about two days, and then a family member collected her eggs when she left. I had marked them with pencil, so I knew which three she had been sitting on. I said “oh no, not the babies!” And immediately booted the three dead eggs to make room. I ended up getting 6 of 12 on the first hatch………… then I ran out and bought some quail eggs because, you know, they’re tiny. On the RIR eggs, I hatched two of three. One was almost fully developed, but died the day before hatch. The other two hatched a day early(not unusual for my incubator ) and one had a weird looking umbilical cord, and looked like it had damaged the yolk before hatch (that one died 🫤) the lone survivor, who I named Uno, is doing great, but bled a lot when she hatched. Since her sibling died unexpectedly a few days after hatching, I went to TSC and got her some friends. As for the quail, I got 11 of 24, and number twelve was an assisted hatch that unfortunately didn’t make it through the night.

All in all, you win some, you lose some, you aim somewhere in the middle, and- wow it’s 4 am! I should actually sleep tonight………

Back
Top Bottom