Mites?

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
I got some silkie chicks from a local breeder a week ago. Currently I have them in my tub. It's lined and has a lite layer of shavings. I noticed today a tiny yellowish bug on my hand after cleaning their water and refilling their feed. After closer inspection it looks like there are more on the chicks. I haven't see too many yet but they are definitely there. I think they may be mites but I'm not 100% sure. I will completely strip their tub brooder and clean it. Are there any treatments I can do to get rid of the ones on the chicks. They are only 1 - 3 weeks old. I don't want to use any kind of chemical base treatment. Any suggestions?

I got some silkie chicks from a local breeder a week ago. Currently I have them in my tub. It's lined and has a lite layer of shavings. I noticed today a tiny yellowish bug on my hand after cleaning their water and refilling their feed. After closer inspection it looks like there are more on the chicks. I haven't see too many yet but they are definitely there. I think they may be mites but I'm not 100% sure. I will completely strip their tub brooder and clean it. Are there any treatments I can do to get rid of the ones on the chicks. They are only 1 - 3 weeks old. I don't want to use any kind of chemical base treatment. Any suggestions?
Can you get a picture of the bugs?
It does sound like it's lice. For small chicks I would use a Permethrin based poultry dust instead of spray just so the chicks don't get wet.
You can find dust at stores like Tractor Supply.

upload_2019-6-5_23-48-6.png

When I had my infestation last year, the first thing I used was DE. It didn't do a thing and the birds were getting worse. I bought permethrin spray concentrate and permethrin dust. I dusted the birds and sprayed inside all of the coops even though I only found the mites in one coop. The birds looked raggedy and kept getting worse even though I had used the DE. At first I thought they were going through their molt but they kept looking worse, that is when I discovered the mites. I did repeated spraying because the spray does not kill the eggs so repeated thorough spraying is a necessity, every crack and crevice in the coops along with the walls, ceilings, floors, nest boxes, on and under the roosts, everywhere... Now the birds are beautiful again.

Unfortunately you're not left with much choice if you want the birds to be free of mites.
DE doesn't work and it's damaging for respiratory systems including yours.
To the best of my knowledge there is no proven 'natural' remedy for mites.
Permethrin works and will rid your chickens of mites. You will need more than one treatment to deal with any eggs that hatch.
Keeping the coop clean will help discourage red mite.

I think they may actually be lice after looking at different pictures online. They are on my chicks that are in a brooder in my house. They haven't been outside in my coop or with my other chickens

Back
Top Bottom