Mites???

kh6234

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2023
Hi! It was raining all day today and I went outside to close up the coop and noticed these little bugs crawling on it. I really hope they aren’t mites. Not sure if they are just bugs out because of the rain. It’s around 65/70 degrees here too. Not the best pictures. There isn’t a whole lot of them either like pictures i’ve seen online of mite infestations

Attachments

• IMG_6089.png
    IMG_6089.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6088.png
    IMG_6088.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6083.jpeg
    IMG_6083.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6081.jpeg
    IMG_6081.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks like spiders to me. You could get some permethrin powder to dust your coop if you want to get rid of those and anything else in there.

You would never see mites just hanging out on the walls like that.

Looks like spiders to me. You could get some permethrin powder to dust your coop if you want to get rid of those and anything else in there.

You would never see mites just hanging out on the walls like that.
Oh thank goodness! I’ll order some. Thank you!

I really hope they aren’t mites.
Only a few types of mite out of the thousands of species actually effect poultry (though still prolific is some locations).. and most those live on the birds except roost mites which tend to be red and only come out to feed on the birds at night. (not all red mites are roost mites)

Checking the skin condition below the vent and on the abdomen after dark using a flash light (or head lamp) will give you the best picture, with feathers parted down to the skin look for movement crawling away from the light. Is the skin light pink or angry red.. any scabs or "dried dirt clump" looking things near the base of the feathers?

Also take a white paper towel and run under the roost.. again a few hours after dark.. any blood smears on the paper towel would be an indicator of roost mites.

Infestations (can) start with a single bug. It's always good to be aware! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom