Mixed Breed Chickens

weidnercharm

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 6, 2016
Nampa Idaho
So, I am trying to figure out what each of these 12 are. They are 4 weeks old. I hope there are some real experts on here that can identify at least partway these babies I have. Half of them are Roos....... NOT disappointed by that.

I know the Daddies can be any one of the following:
Bielefelder
Cream Legbar
Rhodebar

And the Mommies can be any of the following:
Maran
Ameraucana
Legbar
Rhodebar
Bielefelder
Olive Egger
Sweedish Flower

#1 Front - Pullet - Think part Rhodebar because the browns and barring.

#1 Side

#2 Side - Pullet ...... Based on the head feathers, I think this might be part Cream Legbar mixed with an Easter Egger based on the cheek feathers. Will this be an Olive Egger?

#2 Front

#3 Side - Pullet - this looks like a Rhodebar X Bielefelder

#3 Front

#4 Front - Roo - Bielefelder

#4 Side - Roo

#5 Side - Based on the head feathers, I think this might be part Cream Legbar X Bielefelder because of the coloring

#5 Front - Roo

#6 Side - Roo - this is a Maran based on the leg feathers (guessing Wheaten Maran) I think he is a cross with a Bielefelder based on the coloring, but I don't know enough about Marans to be able to tell.

#6 Front - Maran

#7 Side - Pullet - Rhodebar

#7 Front

#8 Side - Roo - he has a slight head crest and the coloration is really light and almost silk-like.

#8 Front

#9 Side - Roo - has a crest and the coloration has barring and is dark

#9 Font

#10 Side - Pullet - Maran based on the leg feathers, mixed with Rhodebar?

#10 Front -

#11 Side - Roo - Bielefelder or Rhodebar?

#11 Front

#12 Side - Pullet (I think but could be wrong) because the comb is darker than some of the other hens, but much lighter than the Roos........ Bielefelder???

#12 Front

Last edited:
With those parent groups, I think you're going to have a hard time determining the mix on a lot of the birds.

You can go with things like---crested bird has a CCL parent. Crests are partially dominant.

Beards and muffs are usually dominant.

All those roosters are barred, so that's not going to help sort out offspring.

If your Marans hens are feather legged, that's partially dominant so you should be able to tell their babies. Marans also have white skin, which is dominant.

Ameraucana have pea combs, and those are dominant.

Your only potential Olive Egger cross is your CCL rooster over the Olive Egger hen. Depending on what breeds went into her make-up, you'd have a decent chance of Olive eggs, or possibly blue or other shades of green.

Legbars and Swedish Flowers can be crested, so that's not going to help. And the roosters are all barred, and some of the hens, so that doesn't help either.
The muffs and pea comb of the Ameraucana are dominant, but it the Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger, she might produce single combs or clean faced chicks. The Ameraucana do have white skin, though, so that may be an indicator. Unfortunately, Marans also have white skin...
I don't think there really is a way to say this chick came from rooster A and hen B with this batch of chicks.
To many common features involved.

Legbars and Swedish Flowers can be crested, so that's not going to help. And the roosters are all barred, and some of the hens, so that doesn't help either.
The muffs and pea comb of the Ameraucana are dominant, but it the Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger, she might produce single combs or clean faced chicks. The Ameraucana do have white skin, though, so that may be an indicator. Unfortunately, Marans also have white skin...
I don't think there really is a way to say this chick came from rooster A and hen B with this batch of chicks.
To many common features involved.

x2

This is Plucky. Her siblings are all beautiful Cream Crested Legbars, & have just started laying. She came from a breeder who had BCMarans, EEs, & Cinnamon Queens.
Entertaining guesses as to who/what she may be.

Attachments

• 60940F19-92FB-4DC5-BEC9-268056F60F93.jpeg
    60940F19-92FB-4DC5-BEC9-268056F60F93.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DE3B73C6-0C3E-4C84-A9FB-7522309D3510.jpeg
    DE3B73C6-0C3E-4C84-A9FB-7522309D3510.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 12
  • FEA22CB4-A9D4-41E1-8C47-D66D82D48AA8.jpeg
    FEA22CB4-A9D4-41E1-8C47-D66D82D48AA8.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 10
  • AB89A3F7-DBAE-4054-AD2B-381FA091760D.jpeg
    AB89A3F7-DBAE-4054-AD2B-381FA091760D.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 9
Plucky is a male for starters....
..... and looks to be rumpless which is an Araucana trait but doesn't have tufts like an Araucana and you don't mention that breed as a possible option??
The red leakage on the wings may come from the Cinnamon Queens and possibly blue from BCM... do you know if they are the French feather legged variety of Marans as I don't see any feathering and it is a dominant trait but perhaps they are the clean legged version. I really couldn't guess further on his parentage.

Plucky is a male for starters....
..... and looks to be rumpless which is an Araucana trait but doesn't have tufts like an Araucana and you don't mention that breed as a possible option??
The red leakage on the wings may come from the Cinnamon Queens and possibly blue from BCM... do you know if they are the French feather legged variety of Marans as I don't see any feathering and it is a dominant trait but perhaps they are the clean legged version. I really couldn't guess further on his parentage.

Agreed, you've got a male there. Don't expect any eggs...ever. He is likely an Easter Egger mix if some kind.

Back
Top Bottom