Mixed Breed Ducks!

Pics
Ducklings are fully feathered out. My favorite are the Welsh harlequin hen and buff orpington drake mixs. The two buff colored ducks. I got one pure Welsh. And the rest are cayuga drake and black swedish hen mixs. But they are all just black. They do seem to have more green, purple, blue sheen to them which is nice. View attachment 1850819 View attachment 1850821
They are so pretty!!!

Here's an update on my female gold phase WH x KC
20190610_090730.jpg
If I can ever get my WH to start laying again, I will be having some WH x buff as well along with some WH x black Ancona. My males have finally matured and have been mating regularly with my WH. They have also been mating with my WH x KC cross and my chocolate ancona but they are not laying yet.

I had 9 Pekin ducklings hatch from my little flock of Pekins, 3 females 1 male. All the adults are solid white, as are 8 of the ducklings. This guy, Cheech, somehow ended up with a black "eyebrow". We used to have a male Mallard who lived with the Pekins but he lost his head back the last week of April (can't remember the exact date). These ducklings hatched June 11-13. Since Dave (the Mallard) died more than a month before these hatched, I didn't think there was any chance we'd get any Mallard mixes, but I now I'm not so sure. How does a white duck end up with a black eyebrow?
Regardless of who Cheech's daddy is, I love the eyebrow. I think it's adorable and makes him look like he's always working on some shady plan. :D

Attachments

• KIMG1694.JPG
    KIMG1694.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 14
ACB681D6-5176-49A5-80C4-D64C11B3FA3D.jpeg
I had 9 Pekin ducklings hatch from my little flock of Pekins, 3 females 1 male. All the adults are solid white, as are 8 of the ducklings. This guy, Cheech, somehow ended up with a black "eyebrow". We used to have a male Mallard who lived with the Pekins but he lost his head back the last week of April (can't remember the exact date). These ducklings hatched June 11-13. Since Dave (the Mallard) died more than a month before these hatched, I didn't think there was any chance we'd get any Mallard mixes, but I now I'm not so sure. How does a white duck end up with a black eyebrow?
Regardless of who Cheech's daddy is, I love the eyebrow. I think it's adorable and makes him look like he's always working on some shady plan. :D
He is very cute but I doubt Dave is his dad. I suppose it’s possible since incubation takes 28 days but I would expect mallard markings if he was the dad. Instead, I suspect you have a somatic mutation (body cell mutation which is not passed on to offspring). My Golden Retriever has a black spot on his cheek. The way I understand it, Golden’s carry the genes for black but have other genes which turn black off. My dog has a mutation in just a few cells which turns the black back on. In the same way, the white gene of Pekins is a “turn off color” gene. I believe the gene is recessive so crossed with a mallard you would get full color. Anyway, probably way more info. than you wanted. It is very cute anyhow!

I love the idea of this thread as well! I hope more people with mixed breeds chime in soon. :)

These are my 3 mixed-breed girls (Cayuga mom, Rouen dad):

When I wanted to start a small flock of ducks here, it was very difficult to find any at all. I had to order Cayuga duck eggs and have them shipped from southern Sweden. Out of a total of 24 eggs, I got two female Cayugas that hatched successfully. Needless to say, I will never do shipped eggs again. Very sad experience (and expensive!). I then found an ad posted by a lady who lived not too far from me who had a couple of male ducklings for sale. I ended up bringing one home, he was a Rouen. The following Spring (last year) I stuck 8 of their eggs in my incubator and all 8 hatched! I kept the above 3 females and sold the rest since I wanted to keep my flock fairly small. I love my sweet mixed-breed girls! And they are excellent layers! They started laying in January this year and just stopped last week.
so pretty- beautiful colors!

Back
Top Bottom