Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics

v.cyr

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Greene, NY
I have a proposition for you folks on this forum...since I joined, I have seen quite a few people post questions about what the result would be if they mixed breed A with breed B(in fact, I believe my first post on this site was asking exactly that about a barred rock x buff orpington cross)... the chicken calculator helps, but those illustrations don't really give the best idea of what an actual bird looks like...so here is my idea... lets create a reference thread to show what you get when you cross two different breeds...
basically, people would just need to post photos of their crosses as well as list what was crossed with what to get it...

some basic guidelines:

1- photos need to be of adult birds... you can post chick pics in addition to the photos of adult birds, but the idea is to show what it would look like all grow-ed up...

2-try to only show the cross in question in a photo... if the only photo you have is of multiple birds, try to crop in on the one in question, or at least tell people which one it is

3-must be the crossing of two actual breeds... I suspect showing a cross between a mixed breed and a pure breed will only confuse matters

4-parent breeds must be listed as Rooster breed x Hen Breed... this is just to avoid confusion and make searching the thread for the specific crosses easier... and spell out the breed, no abbreviations

5-be sure to list the sex of the bird(s) shown... telling them apart might seem to be a no-brainer to a lot of us, but telling the difference might be tricky to a newb

other than that, go nuts... if someone has already posted a cross that you have done, post yours anyway... more pictures will only help...

here are mine

Barred Rock x Buff Orpington

Roosters

Hens

I'll have another one(Buff Brahma x Buff Orpington) in a couple of months

Last edited:
Great idea! Here's mine. Silver Spangled Hamburg (mother) x Buff Laced Polish (father). =
_MG_3788.jpg
_MG_3698.jpg
IMG_3926.jpg
- She is a hen :)

Last edited:
You forgot to say rooster or hen. That seems to be a hen.

That Barred Plymouth Rock and Buff Orpington cross makes nice looking chickens. What is produced from one of these roosters and one of these hens? Do you get a variety of looks, or is that look maintained?

That Barred Plymouth Rock and Buff Orpington cross makes nice looking chickens. What is produced from one of these roosters and one of these hens? Do you get a variety of looks, or is that look maintained?

That would be interesting to know. I was considering using this cross (I have a BR roo and a BO hen), but would only do it if production was good.

-Sorry.. Yes, she is a SHE.

Last edited:
Great idea!
Here's mine.
Silver Spangled Hamburg (mother) x Buff Laced Polish (father).
=
_MG_3788.jpg

_MG_3698.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

- She is a hen
smile.png

nice lookin bird
love.gif

I am a little leary of sibling inbreeding , so we haven't bred the roo we kept to any of the hens, we did breed the roo to a black giant and the hens to an australorp, and plan on crossing those offspring together

That would be interesting to know. I was considering using this cross (I have a BR roo and a BO hen), but would only do it if production was good.
-Sorry.. Yes, she is a SHE.
they are very productive girls... the worst layers of the five of them lays 6 days out of 7 the best lay every day for at least 3 weeks before taking a day off
and the roosters grew very fast and filled out nicely(read MEATY)... 9-10 lbs at 6 months, and the one we kept( the first one pictured) weighs 11.5 lbs...

nice lookin bird :love

I am a little leary of sibling inbreeding , so we haven't bred the roo we kept to any of the hens, we did breed the roo to a black giant and the hens to an australorp, and plan on crossing those offspring together

they are very  productive girls... the worst layers of the five of them lays 6 days out of 7 the best lay every day for at least 3 weeks before taking a day off
 and the roosters grew very fast and filled out nicely(read MEATY)... 9-10 lbs at 6 months, and the one we kept( the first one pictured) weighs 11.5 lbs...

Thanks :) Which breed was the father anyway? I have a BO hen and a BR roo, so could they look similar?

Back
Top Bottom