Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

I am a little leary of sibling inbreeding , so we haven't bred the roo we kept to any of the hens, we did breed the roo to a black giant and the hens to an australorp, and plan on crossing those offspring together

they are very productive girls... the worst layers of the five of them lays 6 days out of 7 the best lay every day for at least 3 weeks before taking a day off
and the roosters grew very fast and filled out nicely(read MEATY)... 9-10 lbs at 6 months, and the one we kept( the first one pictured) weighs 11.5 lbs...

It is interesting that the roosters' legs are pink and the hens' legs are grey.

I was thinking you could breed them if you had Barred Rock and Buff Orpington crosses from different parents. I would guess that the offspring would have a variety of looks. You would have to start selectively breeding in order to maintain a particular look and particular traits, and before you knew it you would have a new breed of chicken.

Do these chickens lay eggs that well all year long, or have they been laying eggs long enough to tell?

A Barred Rock will lay about 4 eggs a week on average for a year, and a Buff Orpington will lay 3 or 4 eggs a week on average for a year. If you cross them do their egg-laying abilities improve that much? The egg laying you are describing is better than the average production White Leghorns.

Those are also very large chickens. If they can lay 6 eggs a week on average for a year, they grow fast, and get to a large size, you might have a very good dual-purpose chicken. It might be worth trying to breed for these traits.

Last edited:
It is interesting that the roosters' legs are pink and the hens' legs are grey.

I was thinking you could breed them if you had Barred Rock and Buff Orpington crosses from different parents. I would guess that the offspring would have a variety of looks. You would have to start selectively breeding in order to maintain a particular look and particular traits, and before you knew it you would have a new breed of chicken.

Do these chickens lay eggs that well all year long, or have they been laying eggs long enough to tell?

A Barred Rock will lay about 4 eggs a week on average for a year, and a Buff Orpington will lay 3 or 4 eggs a week on average for a year. If you cross them do their egg-laying abilities improve that much? The egg laying you are describing is better than the average production White Leghorns.

Those are also very large chickens. If they can lay 6 eggs a week on average for a year, they grow fast, and get to a large size, you might have a very good dual-purpose chicken. It might be worth trying to breed for these traits.

production did drop off to nearly zip late fall(molt) till about march last year... this year they stopped from late oct till I discovered the black pepper trick in Dec... kicked them right back into full gear, gonna have to do it sooner next year... figures are based off of when they are laying, not the whole year... still not bad IMHO...

They sound like they are good laying hens. I would guess they will lay about like a Barred Rock, about 4 eggs a week on average for the year. But Barred Rocks are probably the most popular small-flock breed because they are good dual-purpose chickens that are pretty friendly.

What is the nature of your Plymouth Orpingtons (is that a good name?)?

Barred Rocks are somewhat broody, and Buff Orpingtons are even more broody. Have you experienced any broodiness with your hens?

They sound like they are good laying hens. I would guess they will lay about like a Barred Rock, about 4 eggs a week on average for the year. But Barred Rocks are probably the most popular small-flock breed because they are good dual-purpose chickens that are pretty friendly.

What is the nature of your Plymouth Orpingtons (is that a good name?)?

Barred Rocks are somewhat broody, and Buff Orpingtons are even more broody. Have you experienced any broodiness with your hens?

a couple of them have sort of half-heartedly gone broody on us... but as long as we keep on top of egg collection, they never manage to go full blown broody on us... I think I might put a few fake eggs out in the boxes and see if any take the bait

Thanks
smile.png
Which breed was the father anyway? I have a BO hen and a BR roo, so could they look similar?

roo was the barred rock, hens were buff orps

a couple of them have sort of half-heartedly gone broody on us... but as long as we keep on top of egg collection, they never manage to go full blown broody on us... I think I might put a few fake eggs out in the boxes and see if any take the bait

Were you just not ready to hatch chicks when the hens started to go broody?

Hopefully they will make good mamas.

Were you just not ready to hatch chicks when the hens started to go broody?

Hopefully they will make good mamas.

pretty much...we had either already set a bunch in the incubator, or it was late fall or winter (the one tried last week)

Back
Top Bottom