Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

nice lookin bird
love.gif

I am a little leary of sibling inbreeding , so we haven't bred the roo we kept to any of the hens, we did breed the roo to a black giant and the hens to an australorp, and plan on crossing those offspring together

they are very productive girls... the worst layers of the five of them lays 6 days out of 7 the best lay every day for at least 3 weeks before taking a day off
and the roosters grew very fast and filled out nicely(read MEATY)... 9-10 lbs at 6 months, and the one we kept( the first one pictured) weighs 11.5 lbs...
Why? It will be okay as long as they don't have some sort of bad trait that would be bred back into the gene pool. There's lots of breeds/strains that have been created just by this method of breeding. The avian gene pool is not like the closely related human gene pool. You will not end up with some sort of freak by doing this cross if that's the problem. Should be some interesting results in my opinion.
smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:
I've been told that you can but you have to be very familiar with their lineages. Yes, you can breed siblings but it's generally not recommended for those without years of breeding experience.

You won't automatically get damaged birds or anything from a sibling breeding, it's just more likely that any bad aspects they have show up more.

Why? It will be okay as long as they don't have some sort of bad trait that would be bred back into the gene pool. There's lots of breeds/strains that have been created just by this method of breeding. The avian gene pool is not like the closely related human gene pool. You will not end up with some sort of freak by doing this cross if that's the problem. Should be some interesting results in my opinion.
smile.png

Jeff

I've been told that you can but you have to be very familiar with their lineages. Yes, you can breed siblings but it's generally not recommended for those without years of breeding experience.
You won't automatically get damaged birds or anything from a sibling breeding, it's just more likely that any bad aspects they have show up more.

the parent stock was hatchery birds, so I have no clue about any liniage before them... seemed safer not to risk it...

pop.gif
celebrate.gif
I LOVE THIS THREAD!
Anyone have a Australorp roo X Barred Rock hen crosses?
And i heard that sex links are sterile? that cant be true... i wanted to breed my red sex link hen to something else. (maybe a BR roo)

I have been reading this thread too. Trying to decide what project to have for this spring. Would love to have a mix with a polish because I love the crazy hairdos. But I don't know what would "get along" with a polsh roo.

Oh, I have a birchen cochin bantam crossed with a mille fleur. She looks like a birchen cochen with a muff and a little extra leg feathering. She's cute. I like the muff. You guys want pictures this weekend?

Back
Top Bottom