Mixing breeds in my flock

So, I thought I’d update you all with a pic of my flock! They are currently 24 weeks old..and we got oir 1st egg a few days ago, from the Black Australorp...it’s so exciting we’ve all been checking the coop 6 times a day waiting for our next one!

Chicken math is crazy by the way...I planned on getting 6, ended up with 8, and am already trying to figure out how/when I can get more!

2 BO’s are super mellow, but I’d say nothing stands out about them except they’re easy to catch
1 BA she’s the alpha female and super smart..even as a chick...again super docile.
2 EE’s are smart and fun to watch...one is very shy of humans, the other stands her own and is probably 2nd in pecking order.
1 Dominique, she is a sweetheart, but very shy, she’s my little runt..the girly girl.
1 speckled Sussex, which is my favorite so far...she’s always the first one by my side and will follow me rather than her flock.
Lastly a Dorking Roo!!! This was the straight run mystery chick...he’s just starting to get onery, and he’s a giant! I never wanted a roo, but now that I have one I really want to hatch our own mutts in the spring, but he may be dinner if he doesn’t behave. His spurs are just starting to grow, and he has jumped at the kids and my husband...he doesn’t bother me, but I can tell when he’s bothered by me.

All of them get along well, and I can’t wait to add some more!

Attachments

• B7C878C9-CB23-4615-8F0F-02DF83EF151C.jpeg
    B7C878C9-CB23-4615-8F0F-02DF83EF151C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
So, I thought I’d update you all with a pic of my flock! They are currently 24 weeks old..and we got oir 1st egg a few days ago, from the Black Australorp...it’s so exciting we’ve all been checking the coop 6 times a day waiting for our next one!

Chicken math is crazy by the way...I planned on getting 6, ended up with 8, and am already trying to figure out how/when I can get more!

2 BO’s are super mellow, but I’d say nothing stands out about them except they’re easy to catch
1 BA she’s the alpha female and super smart..even as a chick...again super docile.
2 EE’s are smart and fun to watch...one is very shy of humans, the other stands her own and is probably 2nd in pecking order.
1 Dominique, she is a sweetheart, but very shy, she’s my little runt..the girly girl.
1 speckled Sussex, which is my favorite so far...she’s always the first one by my side and will follow me rather than her flock.
Lastly a Dorking Roo!!! This was the straight run mystery chick...he’s just starting to get onery, and he’s a giant! I never wanted a roo, but now that I have one I really want to hatch our own mutts in the spring, but he may be dinner if he doesn’t behave. His spurs are just starting to grow, and he has jumped at the kids and my husband...he doesn’t bother me, but I can tell when he’s bothered by me.

All of them get along well, and I can’t wait to add some more!
Lovely flock! :love

If that cockerel has already made a move at your kids, it will likely get worse. He NEEDS to GO before you get a blinded kid from a stupid cock flogging the weaker "threats". :old Either look into and start some training on him or start making your plans. He is a pretty boy, but 1 pass at ANY kid makes him look mighty tasty! :drool

Lovely flock! :love

If that cockerel has already made a move at your kids, it will likely get worse. He NEEDS to GO before you get a blinded kid from a stupid cock flogging the weaker "threats". :old Either look into and start some training on him or start making your plans. He is a pretty boy, but 1 pass at ANY kid makes him look mighty tasty! :drool

I agree. My two toddlers have no clue how to react and are too young to understand...my 6 year old is more aware...and won’t go near him. If kiddos are outside I usually keep him locked in the run and just let the hens out to free range.

I’ve been talking to them about culling and eating him, but there is still a disconnect...they don’t quite get that the chicken we eat and the chickens we have in our yard are the same....I wonder if they’d get grossed out and refuse to eat him? It’s so funny too they didn’t want me to crack open our 1st egg because they thought a chick was in there. When we did and they saw it was a regular egg, they asked if roosters laid eggs with chicks!! These boys have a lot to learn.

I wonder if they’d get grossed out and refuse to eat him? It’s so funny too they didn’t want me to crack open our 1st egg because they thought a chick was in there. When we did and they saw it was a regular egg, they asked if roosters laid eggs with chicks!! These boys have a lot to learn.
:lau kids! :pop

Hmmm... all kids will be different. I've seen videos where the kids participate. But also sure I know kids who would FREAK out. :confused:

I had a Speckled Sussex cockerel who was mild mannered and beautiful. Funny you say your girl is your fave... I may HAVE to try again! :oops: :D

Wow nice flock. No rooster is the best option. The hens will be happier and sure there won't be any incidents with the kids. Dorking actually is considered gourmet meat. All the chicks from this mating could inherit the broad-breastedness, so would be good dual-purpose chicken.

It was said earlier in this thread, you MUST have an Easter Egger in your flock! Their eggs are so beautiful and they are so sweet! About the RIRs, they do tend to be aggressive, but my RIR hen is an absolute sweetheart. It really just depends on the chicken. My Buff Orpington is great!She lays a beautiful beige/brown egg, and she's SO docile. I'd like to recommend an Australorp. They're very beautiful, lay brown eggs, and EXTREMELY docile. She loves attention and loves to hop up on my lap and be pet. I also have a Barred Rock Bantam, and she's CRAZY, but I love her. She's pretty and lays small pale eggs, and mine is a bantam, but bantams tend to be flightier than normal sized breeds, so I'm assuming they would be very docile. Cochins are a great option too. I have one in my flock, she's grumpy, but cochins tend to be pretty cuddly and loving, and they're so fluffy! The down side to her is she only lays a few eggs per year, but all the other breeds that I mentioned are very good egg layers. My flock is COMPLETELY mixed. I've got a BR Bantam, an EE Bantam, an Australorp, a Buff Orpington, an EE, a Blue Cochin, 1 Sicilian Buttercup, and 2 RIR hens. Good luck! :)

I have a mixed flock and they are around children. I live in wisconsin so I deal with a mixed climate. I love and recommend the following Easter Egger, Black Austrolop, and Bared Rock. I would stay away from they wydottes they are beautiful but loud and not great with children. I have a friendly road island red but they are hit and miss. My Easter egger, Austrolop, and Bared are also great layers.

I have a mixed flock and they are around children. I live in wisconsin so I deal with a mixed climate. I love and recommend the following Easter Egger, Black Austrolop, and Bared Rock. I would stay away from they wydottes they are beautiful but loud and not great with children. I have a friendly road island red but they are hit and miss. My Easter egger, Austrolop, and Bared are also great layers.
I live in Wisconsin too and have found the barred rocks to be the best with children out of what I have. (buff orps, barred rocks, easter eggers)

Back
Top Bottom