Mixing Turkeys and Chickens

Mitchell Farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I have never raised a turkey in my life and as of Father's Day, I received to young jake turkeys. The only problem is that I had no place to keep them except in with my chickens. My concerns are these:

1. Do turkeys and chickens mix o.k.? Based on the day I have have them, they pretty much seem to get along fine and ignore each other.

2. Don't know where these birds came from. I am concerned about the possibility of disease. Are there any issues with Turkeys that should concern me as far as my chickens go?

3. What the heck do turkeys need as far as feed goes? I have a bag of "all flock", but my chickens are only 15 weeks old and still on starter. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your reply. Have a blessed day!

I also have turkeys who are less than a month old and mixed with young chickens so I've really studied up on the mixing turkeys and chickens topic. For now they should be fine but you will definitely need to separate them before they start to hurt the chickens. And yes you need to quarantine any birds that you get even if you know where they came from. Turkeys eat any thing that chickens eat so I feed mine a mixture of grain, corn, layer pellets, and chick starter grower.

Chickens can carry a disease called black head that will kill turkeys.

There is a Turkey Forum here where you might get more and better answers to your questions.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! Will check it out. It appears that the turkeys are in more danger than my chickens thus far based on what I have read and those who have replied. I forgot to mention that these are year old turkeys if it matters. I hope in just a couple of days to turn them out into pasture and take care of much of the concern. Thanks again for responding. Have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom