Modern game bantams...

Pics
Have any of you ever experienced trouble hatching Modern Game Bantams? I had many die just short of pipping this year. Three weeks ago I set some Bantam Orpington and MGB eggs together. The Orps are popping out like popcorn and the MGBs are all dead in shell. These are not the same birds I was hatching from this Spring/Summer either, so I'm thinking it's not genetic. Anyone have any ideas? More humidity required, maybe?

Quote:
Almost always I have to help them hatch, otherwise you will lose most of them.

These didn't make it far enough to help them. I think they died around day 18.

Quote:
Almost always I have to help them hatch, otherwise you will lose most of them.

These didn't make it far enough to help them. I think they died around day 18.

Oh know if that is the case humidity was to high. I use only 35-45% humidity because I was having chicks drown on day 18-19. Once they pip internally I help from there. If you have any more ?s let me know.

For me I never ever help a chick out of a shell, but that is because I want strong healthy birds.
There are breeds that hatch easily like your Bantam Orpingtons, but Moderns aren't one of them.
I have found that I need to feed a 20% protien feed with animal protien in it. I also give them some type of supplement to help with fertility, like ADE or Wheat Germ Oil.
Precise incubator temperature and Humidity is critical as well as turning the eggs before setting.
It is hot down here in the spring so while I save eggs before setting I make sure that the eggs don't get above 65 till I set them.

Bob

I recently bought a trio of lemon blue moderns for my grandkids (one is being shy and on the perch above the photo:
20590_2011-10-27_08-00-13_319.jpg

Back
Top Bottom