Modern game bantams...

Pics
Quote:
Of course it is always hard to tell much from pictures but they don't look too bad, for older birds. As always with blues it is the evenness of the blue that is the toughest to get, and more important than the shade of blue
Also the more you breed Blue to Blue the darker the blue gets. I always use overlaced males so that I can get better laced females

Bob

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm already feeding high protein feed. The humidity was probably the culprit on this hatch. The best way to ensure a good hatch is to let the Modern hens do all the work.

Quote:
Of course it is always hard to tell much from pictures but they don't look too bad, for older birds. As always with blues it is the evenness of the blue that is the toughest to get, and more important than the shade of blue
Also the more you breed Blue to Blue the darker the blue gets. I always use overlaced males so that I can get better laced females

Bob

The male is older, but the girls are both pullets. They are really nice. Here are a couple more photos; yes, they are in a parrot cage:
307698_10150369131902856_727972855_8235107_1250109706_n.jpg
375336_10150369132002856_727972855_8235108_1620619703_n.jpg

If any of my grands could have gone, they'd have shown them in Farmington last weekend, but none could make it, so their birds stayed home. I liked them better than the other lemon blues I saw there.

They are almost identical; one is slightly taller, whihc is a good thing as one DGD pointed to the tall one and immediately said, "that one is mine," and the other DGD pointed to the shorter one and immediately said, "that one is mine." They were not together, so it worked out well that they each selected a different bird. The cock is DGS's.

Quote:

Bob

The male is older, but the girls are both pullets. They are really nice. Here are a couple more photos; yes, they are in a parrot cage:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...9131902856_727972855_8235107_1250109706_n.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...9132002856_727972855_8235108_1620619703_n.jpg

If any of my grands could have gone, they'd have shown them in Farmington last weekend, but none could make it, so their birds stayed home. I liked them better than the other lemon blues I saw there.

Pluck the black feather on her right wing before you go to show...I believe that it would be a dq.

Quote:
She looks good:). I have a little birchen hen I really like that I will get some pics of, but she is bald at the moment. She weighs12oz.

Quote:
She looks good:). I have a little birchen hen I really like that I will get some pics of, but she is bald at the moment. She weighs12oz.

I don't have a scale, but I'm guessing mine weighs close to that. I'm going to go get a pic of the cock. Forgot about him.

Back
Top Bottom