Modern game bantams...

Pics
This year and last years hatch...I had some really good birds that I was planning on taking to canadian national within the next couple of years but now I got nothing, I had 12 eggs in the bator but power was out and the temp dropped inside to bellow 50 so they all where hooped. Lets just say 2012 is off to a really crappy start...

How old were they?

Im done...I lost all my birds, $1000 worth of birds gone...Its just to dang cold up here. I am so bummed tghey had insulated coops with heaters but when it got done to -20 they where all stiff...

That's a crying shame! I'm really sorry to hear it. Those little bodies just can't take the real cold. A friend of mine had some freeze last year and the temps were just below freezing. I keep mine in an insulated trailer in the winter.

Question: do the long legs hinder the hatching in any way?

No, the legs don't hinder them any. I have found that they don't hatch as well as some other breeds in my incubator. I'm not sure if humidity is the problem or what. However, under a broody I've had good success with them.

Those are 15's on the Jeep in the background, so you can roughly tell how tall they are. I will have to take them outside for some better pictures, but its been so nasty, and now we are finally getting nice weather and its dark by the time I get done with work. The game rooster in with them is no longer, and I will be putting a real Largefowl Modern rooster with these this weekend.

Jason

Wow, great job with the Awards! And what a handsome little rooster, :).

I have a modern game bantam, her name is Maisy and she is a birchen. I was supposed to get 2 but her sister died due to egg malfunctions (she is going to be replaced with another Modern, totalling up to 2 moderns, 1 d'Uccle, 1 Buff Brahma, and 1 frizzle/normal cochin.)

She loves to talk, especially in the car, but sadly she is picked on by the buff brahma. Now, they are settling down but the poor little girl lost some feathers :(

I plan on showing all of my chickens (going to have to get a bigger carrier, since we thought we were only getting 2 or 3!)

Good luck on your showing. If you're not careful, you'll get hooked on it and end up with a lot more chickens!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom