modern game thread! (')>

I will probably have to order a box full from ideal or other hatcheries and cull really hard to get what I want. If these eggs are so hard to come by, maybe there is a market for them? Who knows.

You won't get what you want with Ideal bird no matter how hard you cull. I've seen Modern Bantams from Ideal & they've all been enormous.
Do you go to the Sussex shows? There have been some good ones available for sale there every time I've gone. There are some good Moderns here in the North East & there are usually good ones for sale at most of the shows.
As others have said this is the wrong time of year to be looking for stock & frankly eggs aren't the way to go with Moderns. Anyone who has good ones probably doesn't sell eggs.

You won't get what you want with Ideal bird no matter how hard you cull. I've seen Modern Bantams from Ideal & they've all been enormous.
Do you go to the Sussex shows? There have been some good ones available for sale there every time I've gone. There are some good Moderns here in the North East & there are usually good ones for sale at most of the shows.
As others have said this is the wrong time of year to be looking for stock & frankly eggs aren't the way to go with Moderns. Anyone who has good ones probably doesn't sell eggs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-BB-Red-Mo...293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3da3c905
Some people sell them ....

I do go to the Sussex show. I will post on the show thread when it opens. I do have one person who is bringing me a selection of eggs that day (some birchen). These are for my daughter to get started in jr showmanship and 4h (i prefer the larger breeds myself) so i would like to get descent quality, but they don't have to be perfect. Having never had these before, i was unaware that they are seasonal layers our that hatching them requires different hatching conditions. I appreciate all the info and advice!

I do go to the Sussex show. I will post on the show thread when it opens. I do have one person who is bringing me a selection of eggs that day (some birchen). These are for my daughter to get started in jr showmanship and 4h (i prefer the larger breeds myself) so i would like to get descent quality, but they don't have to be perfect. Having never had these before, i was unaware that they are seasonal layers our that hatching them requires different hatching conditions. I appreciate all the info and advice!
They don't require different hatching condition that I'm aware of. Mine get hatched in with everthing else & they hatch ok. They're not strictly seasonal layers like some waterfowl are but like mant bantams they're not particularly heavy layers & do the best when the days are long & warm. I get a few eggs during the winter from mine.
Modern Game Bantams are an ideal bird for children to use for showmanship. They're rarely aggressive, seem to love to be handled & are the perfect size for small hands.

I didn't say no one sold them, I said probably no one with good ones will sell eggs. It's foolish for them to sell the eggs. These birds, like many small bantams, aren't heavy producers & it's easy to sell quality stock. Why sell an egg for $1 or so when you can hatch it & sell the bird for $25-$100 ?
I agree. I sell my hatching eggs $5 to $8 each . I never said anything to any degree that you did sir. I seen these a few day back. Thought I would pass them along. Excuse my grammar errors.... Good day.

Just found this thread! So excited!
yesss.gif

I raise Standard Moderns in BB Red and Bantam Moderns in Black, Blue, Birchen, and Brown Red.

Back
Top Bottom