Modesto Milling Organic Feeds?

Hi Everyone,
I'm Chicken Steve, and we live in Modesto, CA. where we have twelve Hens. We were concerned about Organic feed for our girls so we would have fresh organic eggs. Besides helping with our composting, and keeping the garden free of bugs and eating the trimming, (all organic). Modesto Milling has the answer for good feed for the girls. Starting with the grow and now layer and scratch. I back up and they load my truck. All for a good price, for what I'm getting. I know they ship to Hawaii and Oregon, it's worth checking to see if they deliver in our area. they're a bunch of good people down there. You can buy grains and build what you want, but the price of organics is high. Good luck at buying all those grains organically in the volume you need for a mix of the same values. Then there's the storage problem. It works for me, simple and easy.
Chicken Steve

We've had chickens under a year so no experience with anything else. We use their layer pellet & scratch, only complaint is that no one carries it around here so I gotta run 60 miles to Modesto. Go to their web site & there's a list of dealers.

You can also get the feed minus soy,! No soy is organic that I know of. I don't know of another mill that supplies organics in the area or state. The prices are fair and service is great, we're lucky we are so close.

*Organic Soy Free Layer Pellets #6020

Use: Layer pellets are formulated to be a complete feed, but are also useful as part of a pasture-based diet. Layer pellets can be fed starting at 15-18 weeks of age.
Ingredients: Organic corn, organic canola meal, organic wheat, organic peas, limestone, organic sun-dried alfalfa, moncalcium phosphate, Redmond Conditioner (clay), organic flaxseed, diatomaceous earth, organic kelp meal, Redmond Sea Salt, DL methionine, poultry vitamin & mineral premix, organic garlic granules, organic horseradish powder, organic star anise oil, organic juniper berry oil
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein min 17%, crude fat min 2.0%, crude fiber max 6.5%, ash max 15.8%

The Peas & Canola I assume.

WE HAVE ALSO STARTED GETTING OUR ORGANIC WHOLE GRAIN BARLEY, WHEAT AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS FOR SPROUTING.
thumbsup.gif
AT MODESTO MILLING COMPANY. WE WILL BE SPROUTING FOR ABOUT A THREE

INCH SPROUT TO KEEP MY GIIRLS IN THE GREEN STUFF.

Last edited:
THE BLACK SUNFLOWER SEEDS HAVE A HIGHER OIL CONTENT AND THEN WITH MORE SCRATCH MY WINTER JUST FINE. AS JUST POSTED WE ARE STARTING A SPROUTING PROGRAM, FOR MORE NUTRIENTS.

I live out in Mountain Ranch, about 20 miles from San Andreas. There is a feed store on Highway 49, near Angels Camp, called Spences, that sells Modesto Milling layer feed crumble, pellet, and scratch. The layer is $30 a bag. I would like to try it but that is sort of high for my 19 chickens. Is it really worth it?

Yes I think so. First off I eat what they produce, in both the egg and the meat, when culled. I'm really into eating healthy, hence the yard birds. Everything is fresh and organic here. I meet the gang at the mill every two months or so for different products they bag. I have been told that the grains mush be certified non-GMO and Organic to even be purchased by the mill. I only pay a few bills less right here. The starter, teen mix, layer, and the grains for spouting, I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom