Molt & Artificial Lighting - 1 Year Old

PhenixJiRa

Songster
Aug 12, 2022
Idaho
My chickens just turned a year old (Sept 2022) and I am using artificial lighting that comes on at 6:30am which is about 30 minutes before first light. I was planning to continue this for a month or so until it gets further into fall when I might remove the light but not sure yet (this is my first flock).

Here’s where I start to over think things.

They have never molted and won’t be 18 month old until March. Some people have indicated they might not molt at all but I’m wondering if I should NOT have artificial lighting so as to encourage the molt now rather than taking a chance they do it in the middle of winter.

Does the artificial lighting have any consequence to molting or will it happen or not happen regardless?

I wonder because I read that the decrease in daylight hours is a factor in the molt process. I would hate to suddenly stop the light in November and BAM-O, I make them molt in January.

They have never molted and won’t be 18 month old until March. Some people have indicated they might not molt at all but I’m wondering if I should NOT have artificial lighting so as to encourage the molt now rather than taking a chance they do it in the middle of winter.
Since it is their second fall/winter they might molt this fall/winter.
Might be a full molt, might be partial molt.

Does the artificial lighting have any consequence to molting or will it happen or not happen regardless?
I used to start supplemental lighting in fall, but had some spring molters,
plus I figured it's better for their overall health to give them a break.
I now let them molt in fall and crank up the lights in December.

Back
Top Bottom