Molting or pecking?

zaapoole

In the Brooder
May 30, 2016
I have six chickens and one of them about 2 years and one of them has started losing a lot of feathers but the others have not even though three others are exactly the same breed as size. She is a lot smaller and it seems as if all her outer feathers have gone (darker than the other as well) but thee is a lot of pecking as well from the others
Do you think this is just normal molting or pecking? I am a bit concerned as she is the only one losingfeatgees

Thanks

That is new feathers growing in. Feathers are covered in a sheath as they emerge from the skin, which than is preened off by the bird when it is done growing.

Agreed those are her new feathers growing in. Do however keep an eye that the other hens don't start to peck at them and pull them out. It can quickly become a bad habit of feather picking that is really hard to break.

And also that no one pecks blood feathers! Just tonite i had to bring in a gal that other girls had pecked some blood feathers coming in on her tail. it looked a lot worse than it really was. Her whole tail is nearly nude xcept for the blood feathers coming in, ill prolly keep her in the nursery till those tail feathers come in quite bit more so we dont have the blood thirsty flock going in like the little tyranasaurs they are.

Back
Top Bottom