Molting or picking (pics included)

I don't have a rooster...have 6 girls in a 6x14' coop that opens to a 10x14' enclosed run, and when I'm home early enough (which lately is prob 2-3 times a week), they get to free range for a bit. I put stuff in the coop to work on, like pumpkins and corn, esp now that the run is a muddy mess (have plans to make it more fun next summer but ran out of time this year).

Okay, I could be totally wrong here, and I don't have direct experience with it, but have seen pictures.... To me, it does not so much look like molting (losing and replacing feathers) as it looks like feather damage. Picking could be one reason, but you're likely to catch them at it at some point. But, I'm wondering if it could be feather shaft lice. They can leave the feathers looking super raggedy.

Edited to clarify that I do have experience with molting, and pecking...not with lice.

Last edited:
I don't have roos either, but do have a couple of hens who will mount a few of the little ones. That is exactly what the back of the "mountees" starts to look like. I put some aprons on them and they feathered out beautifully.

Back
Top Bottom