Molting

shelly yolko eg

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
hi all BYC members
I don't know if I am on the right section of the forum for this question but if i am please tell me where to direct my question. I have 4 chickens 3 of them look like there molting but one is looking perfect so my question is are they molting or are they having there feathers pulled by the boss? because wouldn't they all molt and they have been like it a few months now and I don't know how long the molting process takes. thanks x

Have you seen feather plucking, i you can post pictures it may help people to tell if you possibly do have a feather plucker. Do you see pin feathers coming in on any of the birds? A full on molt will take several months at least usually. How old are your birds, are they still laying (chickens usually quit laying when they are molting). Chickens don't necessarily all molt at the same time, even if they are the same age and breed. Molting usually takes place in a fairly specific order, sort of starting at the head and working backwards over the body ... good article on molting. http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/217/moulting-a-natural-process

Thanks Kelsie all 4 of my girls are 18 months old and three have bold heads and I was getting 4 eggs a day but now 2 maybe 3 a day but all eating well just started giving them there mash again x

Back
Top Bottom