Mom was carrying egg that was partially cracked open

The duckling died in the middle of the night. :( Just for future reference the wet paper towel is not a good idea? Or don't have that on when you put in the incubator?

First thing I'm sorry for your lost, wish I saw this sooner. Dang it.

Second, you have to stop the bleeding,

Third, Don't every put it back with the momma, she will ONLY crush it. The shell is missing so therefore you have what I call weak spots, once her weight hits those weak spots, boom the egg gets crushed.

Fourth, get the bator ready and place him in the bator, RAISE that humidity. It would need to be at about 70%

Wet paper towels don't always do the trick. Yeh once opened they definitely need to stay wet, otherwise the veins dry up. It's over.

The problem I see with wet paper towels is it's Too much moisture at one time, plus it makes the egg cold. Once the paper towel is no longer warm, the entire egg gets cold, so it slows down the process, we don't want to slow it down, we need to Speed things up due to the fact that the egg is already in jeopardy. So we don't need to put the paper towel on it, Now unless you are will to get up every 30 minutes to warm the paper towel that's a different story but again, to much moist at once for them to handle.

An OLD trick that I have used is to place an onion in the bator, this helps keeps bacteria off that egg, membrane and yolk..

Personally, what I would have done, is kept the membrane wet every two hours, and put him in a cup... to see if we can speed up his process as far as absorbing.

Hold our breaths and PRAY he makes it until his due date.

I did get the bleeding stopped right away. I kind of figured that out with the paper towels getting the egg cold. Thank you for all the great information.

I did get the bleeding stopped right away. I kind of figured that out with the paper towels getting the egg cold. Thank you for all the great information.

Thank you and again I'm sorry for your loss, if every a problem should occur like that again, don't hesitate to shoot me up a PM...

Awww poor baby! So sorry!
hit.gif
hugs.gif

I'm sorry had this happen before, perhaps the baby was not okay? either way i don't have an incubator so i am rather limited on my abilities sounds like you did all you could, best of luck with the hatch.

Here is the rest of the brood!! Let them be outside in the grass today for a bit before putting them back in the duck house.

Back
Top Bottom