Montana

I wanted to say our last rooster did not crow when we gave him to Christy on here, not sure what age he was when he started crowing ,we gave him to her at 16 or 17weeks old I believe . He was our only rode island red.

You are very sweet to not want a refund!! But I insist; you bought pullets and got cockerels instead so I can't in good conscience keep your payment. I will try to paypal it back to you if you don't pm me with an address to send a check to.
Yes - that is a lot of roosters we are left with and that is only the first bunch of chicks that we raised - we have about four more batches of somewhere around 100. I am so hoping for a better turn out of pullets from these groups!!!! I have found homes for 6 of the cross breed roosters and will keep looking of course, but we are going to have a mammoth LOT of pressure canning to do this summer. Last year I was able to trade quite a bit of pressure canned chicken meat for canned fresh garden vegetables - it worked out pretty perfect actually. I looked in my cupboard last night for dinner ideas and was shocked to find that I only have four more jars of meat in there - heading into winter it had looked like we were never going to make it through the mountain of chicken jars!

Sounds like a busy and exciting weekend you had Karla!! Congratulations. I bet there is someone out there somewhere who can retrieve the information stuck on your memory card. Of course, I have no idea how much it will cost, but it's a computer card so there's got to be a way to get to the information.. ?? Hope it works out for you Karla, that would be awfully to loose those photos.

It's ok hon, I'm still going to get a few birds from you this next spring if I can. Your birds are so. Healthy! and all is well. I will just get to you sooner to be put on the list, and if your canning chicken please please consider selling some lol, I have never had home canned chicken, just store bought and I hated it. But could use home canned for my storage ! Save your money, I'm on the list for canned chicken lol, your the best, and I'm writing all the gals around me to see if they will take mine, it worked out before, someone is always needing a new rooster, well I hope so. Lol. If not they can have a few meals . I think the perfect number for my yard is 6 laying hens, my few will be 2 next spring and I will replace them, the baby chicks and your 2 and my 2 now make it six. Manageable since my back yard is so small. By fall I will have 6 laying hens, and I'm thrilled. Heck, maybe next spring you might get one of them turkens lol, I think there adorable!
Today we are putting the pool up, it's still chilly but we want it up and ready for warm weather. Im off HAve a great day. :)

Oh yeah - you are the first name on my pullets list for next year!!
And sadly I am not legally allowed to sell my pressure canned chicken - I don't have a licensed kitchen. There has been an amazing amount of interest though, so I might look into the requirements again to be able to sell meat. But if I remember, the changes I would have to make are pretty EXPENSIVE.

I understand, its not like the old days when you could buy folks goods . silly laws these days :( and no fresh milk, no fresh cream. makes me mad.
any ways we got the kids pool up, what a task, the chickens just ate grass around it like it was always there lol. everyone is getting along well, of course those pullets are so smart, they stay clear of the big girls. my son left the gate open today, we left for 25 minutes and asked him if he locked the gate, he swore up and down he did, when we pulled in my girls were heading down the street like it was what they dd every day.. scared the heck out of me. i take my white plastic stick and they follow me, i tap the leader on the bum gently, she moves forward and the pack follows lol. even chicks. what a crazy crew

Holy Smoke!

That was a nasty storm. We got lucky and it stayed to the west of us but a lot of people we know got hit. One person lost their green house, parts of their fence and other damages. Heard one place had a tree limb go through a bedroom window. Another place lost the roof and door on the shop.
Baseball size hail too. That lighting was flat out scarey!

I was at work and did not get to see the storm other then FB pics. Really rushed to get things locked up at work because the power was flickering off and on.

we are under another tornado watch til 11pm tonight, Tons of storms coming towards us again.

Heard from one friend today that their uncle lost 80% of his crop to hail.
Had 2 sheriff's cruisers damaged by the baseball size hail. Lots of broken windows and damaged roofs.
One friend had the wall cloud go right over their place. Luckily nothing touched down.
The friend that lost their green house also had their TV tower blown over and it took out the power lines.

Really weird weather. What is really weird is the storms are now coming from the southeast instead of the southwest.
Now if they were coming from the northwest I would be super scared. Those storms normally pack lots of large hail and drop twisters too.

Just watching the radar right now and hoping for the best.

On a funny note my crazy turkey and chicken that were sharing a nest hatched out 1 baby chicken and are fighting over it. Nothing funnier then watching those 2 running around defending that chick from each other and everything else.

Been awhile since have had time to chat.
We've got weather here on the west side.
New snow in Glacier, Big Mountain and tekettle.
Turned the heat lamps back on in the chicken houses and put in dry straw.
Goat has a stall in one. He went in last night and requested room service this morning for breakfast.
Have 20 teenage Marans in a grow out pen that I was going to graduate to the outside runs, but now now.
We're close to the Flathead River so keeping an eye on that too.

Back
Top Bottom