More complications with bumblefood

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
So I posted in September about my rooster with complex double bumblefoot. I ended up taking him to a very popular avian vet here who is also very reasonably priced. She lanced his swollen foot for us, put him on antibiotics, and told me to soak his foot in epsom salts every day and of course, freshly dress the surgical wound. After the first week, swelling had only reduced slightly. I sent her a pic of the foot and she advised to reopen the surgical wound and drain, then soak and re-dress for another week. We did that. Only a slight change, although we opened and re-dressed the wound twice during the week. This is week three and nearing the end. The foot is still swollen and is now very painful. He continued to act normal otherwise, so it's not making him sick. He is very anxious about us touching his foot, although he didn't seem to mind before. It hurts, but doesn't look inflamed. He still has a couple more days of antibiotics left.

I am beginning to wonder if it is the bandage that is making the foot painful and maybe even causing the swelling. The surgical wound is closed now, so I don't see a reason to keep the bandage on, except that it keeps the foot clean and also holds in the antibiotic ointment, which we are still applying after soaking. I am waiting for the vet to call back after sending her another picture, but that won't be til late today or tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm wondering if we should just remove the bandage altogether, and I'm thinking of ordering more Tricide Neo and trying that again. I read that it has an exceptionally long shelf life, so I can't see a reason not to order it for the chicken first aid kit, even if I don't use it, although I'll have to wait for it to get here.

Also, I called one of the big aquarium stores here and they don't have Tricide Neo but they do have other medications that have Neomycin in them, but I'm assuming that the Tricide stuff is what enables the Neomycin to get into the foot, so idk if anything else would work til it gets here?

I hate to cull this rooster, because he is such a sweet natured guy, but I also am feeling bad about him suffering for so long. At this point, everyone who knows him is attached, so it would be a difficult decision.

Please let me know asap if you have any quick thoughts about this.

Thanks

Also, the antibiotic he has been on for the past three weeks is SMZ/TMP 960mg. Before he went to the vet, we had him on Cephalexin for a couple of weeks, which did nothing. The vet was aware, so I'm guessing that's why she chose to use the SMZ/TMP. He's also on Meloxicam for pain.

Pictures would be really helpful.
I had a very, very bad case of bumblefoot in a roo, and it came back. All standard treatments failed, and I tried them all. As a last hail-mary I decided to use sugardine, it was that or he wasn't going to make it. It's commonly used in horses (by veterinarians) for hoof issues. It was not a fast process, but it worked. He is still fine, no recurrence after almost 3 years.
See my post here, post #8, for particulars on what I did, and a picture of the healing foot:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-not-healing.1443809/

Pictures would be really helpful.
I had a very, very bad case of bumblefoot in a roo, and it came back. All standard treatments failed, and I tried them all. As a last hail-mary I decided to use sugardine, it was that or he wasn't going to make it. It's commonly used in horses (by veterinarians) for hoof issues. It was not a fast process, but it worked. He is still fine, no recurrence after almost 3 years.
See my post here, post #8, for particulars on what I did, and a picture of the healing foot:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-not-healing.1443809/
Thank you, I will keep for future reference. Sadly, Drumstick died on the operating table at the vet's office yesterday. She suspected stress and systemic infection. I think his heart burst from the stress. She hadn't even done anything yet, he went into seizure and she said blood poured from his mouth, then he died. I feel terrible we couldn't save him. The vet did too. She would not charge me anything for yesterday. She was gonna clean the foot out one more time and inject antibiotic into the lesion. He knew it was gonna hurt. Dang it. :(

I'm so sorry. :hugs My worst bumblefoot cases have been roosters. I think they just have more meat on their bigger feet that lets it get a better hold. They definitely don't handle stress well. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Thank you, I will keep for future reference. Sadly, Drumstick died on the operating table at the vet's office yesterday. She suspected stress and systemic infection. I think his heart burst from the stress. She hadn't even done anything yet, he went into seizure and she said blood poured from his mouth, then he died. I feel terrible we couldn't save him. The vet did too. She would not charge me anything for yesterday. She was gonna clean the foot out one more time and inject antibiotic into the lesion. He knew it was gonna hurt. Dang it. :(
:hugs

I'm so sorry. :hugs My worst bumblefoot cases have been roosters. I think they just have more meat on their bigger feet that lets it get a better hold. They definitely don't handle stress well. I'm very sorry for your loss.
Thanks. Ive had 3 roosters with it
All related. We were able to get the other two over it.

Thank you. He fought so hard to keep going....over 6 weeks. An d we worked so hard to save him and got attached.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just came home today from the vet who treated my hens bumblefoot. I was able to successfully treat one foot, but I could not get on top of the other foot. I was surprised that the vet used a block to do surgery on the foot and asked if putting her to sleep was an option. I wondered if that was necessary, but after reading your story, I am glad that she did. Thank you for sharing.

I am so sorry for your loss. I just came home today from the vet who treated my hens bumblefoot. I was able to successfully treat one foot, but I could not get on top of the other foot. I was surprised that the vet used a block to do surgery on the foot and asked if putting her to sleep was an option. I wondered if that was necessary, but after reading your story, I am glad that she did. Thank you for sharing.
I hope your hen recovers! Bumblefoot is awful. And thank you.

Back
Top Bottom