Need ideas for bumblefoot in wet weather

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I have been treating my rooster for bumblefoot for over 6 months. Daily soaks in either epsom salts or neomycin, followed by vetwrap. He was getting better, but I had to take a break due to health reasons and it got a bit worse. He's 5+ years old, and his feet are deformed from unintentional fighting.

I think we can continue to make progress, but we'll have cold/wet weather for the next several months and I don't think vetwrap will hold up.

Is there some sort of dressing that I can apply to the bottom of his toe? something like a sprayable bandage that will stay put while he's scratching. Alternatively, does there exist a waterproof "chicken shoe" that can cover the whole foot? Ideally something easy to apply and remove, because we are doing this nearly every day and I am tired.

Attached photos of the wound. It smells like death but he is in good spirit.

Attachments

• toe2.JPG
    toe2.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 48
  • toe.JPG
    toe.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 13
Our property is rocky so my chickens walk on rocks and sticks all day long.We also have a lot of fill dirt on the property esp around the chicken coop and run .Presently 3 of my older hens have it and 2 hens I got as chicks last fall. I've read deficiencies in their diet can make them more susceptible but my hens are very healthy otherwise.

I presently use vinyl flooring on the wood floor underneath the roosting bars but will be switching to these plastic kennel panels in my next build.They come in 2 foot by 5 foot sections that can be secured to a wood frame base

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-21 9.06.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 9.06.38 PM.png
    348.1 KB · Views: 12
Our property is rocky so my chickens walk on rocks and sticks all day long.We also have a lot of fill dirt on the property esp around the chicken coop and run .Presently 3 of my older hens have it and 2 hens I got as chicks last fall. I've read deficiencies in their diet can make them more susceptible but my hens are very healthy otherwise.
Are you treating them for bumblefoot?

None of my other chickens have ever had bumblefoot. The rooster isn't really a normal case. It started as an infected toenail that moved up the toe.

Are you treating them for bumblefoot?

None of my other chickens have ever had bumblefoot. The rooster isn't really a normal case. It started as an infected toenail that moved up the toe.
My favorite hen had it once before but she was treated and healed a year ago (3 months of foot soaks and wraps ) None of them have a severe case now and none are limping.

Have you tried applying the durvet epsom salt poultice? Maybe you could give that a go with a bandage for a couple weeks and see if you make some faster progress.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OE3L8...&crid=3OL68Q45RNWFB&amp=&sprefix=epsom+salt+p
I have not tried that product. I have tried betadine, pine tar, icthammol drawing salve, triple antibiotic ointment, bactroban, vetericyn, and other assorted oils and ointments. IMO, the key to progress is keeping the wound clean and dry, so I'm looking for ideas on how to do that.

Some are i
I have not tried that product. I have tried betadine, pine tar, icthammol drawing salve, triple antibiotic ointment, bactroban, vetericyn, and other assorted oils and ointments. IMO, the key to progress is keeping the wound clean and dry, so I'm looking for ideas on how to do that.
I accidentally stepped on one of my hens feet a year ago and she still has a swollen foot. Now she has a hard lump between 2 toes and bumblefoot at the tips of her toes at the base of her toenails. Soaking hasn't helped so I may have to cull her.

Back
Top Bottom