Mosquitoes Reproducing in Waterer

frenchiegirl21

Songster
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
South Central Texas
Hello!

I went to add more water to our 3 gallon waterer for the bantam pen today and noticed there were mosquito larvae in the water pan. When I opened the top of the waterer dozens of full-grown mosquitoes flew out!!!! Apparently the chicken waterer is the perfect breeding space for mosquitoes
barnie.gif
Does anyone know of a safe way to prevent mosquito reproduction in the chicken waterer without hurting the chickens? I work part time so I don't have time to dump it out and clean it/refill it every day. Plus that would waste a ton of water..... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Use a one gallon waterer.

The other option is a closed system with nipple or drinker cup waterers.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not had that problem yet. I wonder if putting electrolytes in the water discourages Mosquitos as well as ACV?

Make sure you use a plastic waterer with vinegar because the acid will cause metal to rust. I accidentally poured ACV in my metal waterer one time and it rusted. :(

@chickencanoe We disinfect our waterers quite regularly. This has happened during the past few weeks which have been full of severe rain so I haven't been able to monitor everything as closely as possible. A one gallon waterer lasts only a few hours in the Texas heat, so a three gallon is necessary.
@ the others I was thinking about the ACV but didn't know if it would be effective

I use the three gallon waterers, but they get dumped out and rinsed with the water hose every two or three days, at least. No larvae have time to develop in there! I just use plain water, no additives. Mary

@chickencanoe We disinfect our waterers quite regularly. This has happened during the past few weeks which have been full of severe rain so I haven't been able to monitor everything as closely as possible. A one gallon waterer lasts only a few hours in the Texas heat, so a three gallon is necessary.
@ the others I was thinking about the ACV but didn't know if it would be effective
No species of mosquito can lay eggs, become larvae and then become adults if waterers are disinfected regularly.

We've had extreme rain too with temperatures that are conducive to mosquito production.

I have 7 flocks of chickens currently and there is no way that their water founts can become turgid enough to raise a batch of mosquitoes if the water is changed regularly.
I use the three gallon waterers, but they get dumped out and rinsed with the water hose every two or three days, at least. No larvae have time to develop in there! I just use plain water, no additives. Mary

Exactly!!!

Edited by Staff

Here's my best advice and facts about mosquitos.

My suggestion is a closed system with nipples or drinker cups and you'll never have to dump or have mosquitos in your water again.
You can use cups, vertical or horizontal nipples in either a 5 gallon bucket, a PVC system or fed by plastic tubing. Don't use clear tubing outside or it will get algae in it.

I like this kind of drinker cup because you can twist them off and clean them with a swipe of your finger and twist them back on without losing any water
http://www.poultrysupplies.com/index_files/Page435.htm
https://www.coopsnmore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1169
The drawback to those is they aren't for freezing weather which shouldn't be a big problem in your area
I use them with a cage bracket and just screw the bracket to the wall and use plastic tubing to supply the water from a barrel.

Vertical nipples are cheap but they can drip and if using a bucket you can't sit the bucket on the ground. They'll also freeze in winter.
http://www.amazon.com/Nipple-Drinker-Chicken-Feeder-Poultry/dp/B008AZTHNS

I've switched to horizontal nipples most places because it gets so cold here and if I heat the water I can use the system all winter
for the horizontal nipple you can drill holes in PVC pipe but the pipe needs to be at least 2" in diameter or the bend is too tight for the nipple threads to bite.
BYC member Rich sells them https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/100830/rich386
I use 1/2 " PVC pipe and the following tee
https://www.farmtek.com/farm/suppli..._schedule40_pvc_fittings;pgwf1270_WF1270.html

As for facts about standing water mosquitos.

The complete life cycle of standing water mosquitos takes place in about a week under optimal conditions, or may take several months depending upon the species.
Those species of adult females mosquitos lay eggs on standing water.
After 1-3 days on the water surface, the eggs hatch into larvae depending upon temperature.
When the eggs hatch, larvae emerge. The larvae, commonly known as wigglers or wrigglers, live in the water. Most larvae suspend themselves beneath the surface of the water and breathe air through a tube at the tip of the abdomen. There they feed on microorganisms and particulates as they float by. As the larvae grow they shed their skin four times, growing larger with each molt, before becoming pupae. The duration of the larval period depends upon the species and the water temperature. Under optimal conditions it can take only a few days. The larvae of some species breathe by attaching to aquatic plants. Those species spend months in the water.

After the last larval molt the mosquito becomes a pupa. Mosquito pupae live in the water and breathe air from the surface of the water through a pair of tubes on their backs. Although the pupae do not eat, they are very mobile and can move through the water with a flip of their abdomen. During this period the larval tissues change into the adult tissues. The pupal stage lasts only a few days, after which the adult emerges from the pupal case on the surface of the water.

If they're dumped every other day, I wonder where the mosquito larvae are coming from.

Edited by Staff

Total dumping stops life cycle. Also keeping the amount of organic matter in waterers down helps limit food for wrigglers. You can use a strong dip of chlorinated water to clean containers rapidly in the field or back at house. I tow a wagon on waterer / feeder cleanup days so as to have cleaning supplies close. Does not take much to make wagon worth while.

In the hot weather you really should give fresh water every day. I use a gallon watterer and everyday you can feel it getting a little slimy.

Edited by Staff

Back
Top Bottom