Mosquito Larvae in Water

SolaScriptura

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
Changing the water every day is not going to happen. I have searched and read but really cannot find where people really recommend how much bleach or apple cider vinegar to add to the water. I would prefer the vinegar instead of bleach. How much apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to prevent mosquito larvae? I've looked into the mosquito dunks but that treats the surface of the water. Would the chickens not just peck at and eat the disc? If you put it inside the waterer it's really not doing anything to the rest of the water is it?

I wouldn't put bleach either.
I put 2 drops of oregano oil per gallon in my waterers sometimes. Oregano oil is helpful to the birds as an antioxidant. The mosquitos don't seem to like it either.

I put 2 drops of oregano oil per gallon in my waterers sometimes. Oregano oil is helpful to the birds as an antioxidant. The mosquitos don't seem to like it either.
Where do you get oregano oil? Do you order essential oil from somewhere or can you get this in most stores?

Why don't you use water nipples, if your having issues with mosquitoes.
I do want to eventually get to that. It's just taking the time to run the pipe and set up the barrel to store the water for it. I've got a great place to put it so that the barrel and pipe would be out of any direct sunlight. They would have constant access to cool clean water.

I do want to eventually get to that. It's just taking the time to run the pipe and set up the barrel to store the water for it. I've got a great place to put it so that the barrel and pipe would be out of any direct sunlight. They would have constant access to cool clean water.
Screen the barrel?

Where do you get oregano oil? Do you order essential oil from somewhere or can you get this in most stores?
No no and no. I LOVE Oil of Oregano! Its great for any kind of immune boosting. I use it on myself all the time. First off, I'm talking about OIL OF OREGANO. Not oregano essentail oil. I would never eat that. Its extremely potent, and can be toxic for a delicate chicken at such high potency. I would not give any type of essential oil to a chicken. Personally, I wouldn't feed Oil of Oregano to anything long term. I'd be very concered about dosage being too high. You could kill them.
I do feed as much of the fresh herb as I can to my birds. You can't overdose fresh or dried oregano. I am pro herbs, and immune boosting through them. Personally I think I'm a very holistic person. But Oil of Oregano is very strong and I would be very concerned about putting it in the water. I highly recommend against it.

Back
Top Bottom