Most Expensive Chicken In The United States & The Most Sought After Breeds We Don't Have In America

Culling means removing from the breeding flock. Some males may sell. Most won't, so yes, some breeders do eat their cockerels that aren't good specimens. The females that aren't breeding quality are easier to rehome as backyard layers.

Culling means removing from the breeding flock. Some males may sell. Most won't, so yes, some breeders do eat their cockerels that aren't good specimens. The females that aren't breeding quality are easier to rehome as backyard layers.

That is what it means to some breeders. That is what it means to me. However, there are many breeders where "cull" means to eliminate as many as possible as soon as possible, so as to not waste resources on those that won't contribute to their breeding stock. I have had many discussions with prominent breeders who claim that the only way to move a breeding program forward at a quick rate is to hatch 100s of chicks each year, with the expectation that at least 1/4 of those chicks will be killed on evaluation at 1-2 weeks old, and another 1/4 will be culled at 6 weeks old. These breeders are looking for any excuse to eliminate a chick, just so there won['t be as many to grow out. They specifically discuss how important it is to know how to disarticulate their necks at this age right at the evaluation table, because it is more efficient to put them in the trash can instead of putting them in a "reject" bin and then later having to get them out again to kill them.

There is nothing inherently horrible about this. These chicks are being handled gently and killed humanely. It is not like what happens at hatcheries where the males are thrown into a macerator alive, or even worse thrown into a trash can alive, crushed to death by the ones thrown on top of them, with the ones that survive the crush sealed in a trash bag, trash bags packed tight into a pickup truck, and taken to the dump to die a slow death. So a quick and painless death at an evaluation table is definitely a better alternative. And these breeders are absolutely right. You will develop your breeding program much faster if you are selecting the top 1% of chicks out of 1000 chicks hatched, than if you are selecting your top 1% of chicks out of 100 chicks hatched. But for me, if I'm going to hatch out a chick, I'm not going to kill it until it is large enough to make a meal. At least that way its life isn't wasted. I know, emotional mish mash. But it sits well with me. I guess I still have the luxury of not being the most efficient person out there, and that's ok with me.

Last edited:
Ok but like I said just because it is imperfect to one, doesn't mean it is worthless to someone else. Why not give it away to someone else as am ornamental? this solves the problem of feeding non contributing eaters...

What are they secretly paranoid that they're terrible at choosing and they're reject will end up with a blue ribbon at some podunk County Fair? Then they're even greedy to the grave.

I'd like to know who these people are so I dont buy from them. I don't want every chick I buy to have 2 ghosts behind it. Unless...does no one really want the extras?

Last edited:
By killing instead of rehoming, they are ensuring that sub-par genetics never make their way into the breeding pool. Too many backyard enthusiasts get their hands on a breeder's culls and choose to breed them to make a few bucks off their 'rare' breed birds.
Killing birds that show obvious faults at only a few weeks old may seem harsh, but breeders that choose that method have very good reasons for it.

Ok but like I said just because it is imperfect to one, doesn't mean it is worthless to someone else. Why not give it away to someone else as am ornamental? this solves the problem of feeding non contributing eaters...

What are they secretly paranoid that they're terrible at choosing and they're reject will end up with a blue ribbon at some podunk County Fair? Then they're even greedy to the grave.

I'd like to know who these people are so I dont buy from them. I don't want every chick I buy to have 2 ghosts behind it. Unless...does no one really want the extras?

If you've ever bought a hatchery chick then you've all ready bought a chick with a line of ''ghosts'' behind it. Standard practice for years on top of years to toss out/grind up/use as packing peanuts/whatever with male chicks. The ag industry is what it is and will likely continue to be that way for a very long time. Your best chance at avoiding that is to buy from known breeders. It may take some time, but you can almost always find what you're looking for if you are patient.

On why some breeders destroy rather than give away cull chicks - often because of the possibility of 'bad' birds perpetuating. As mentioned earlier in this thread about Cream Legbars - a few years ago they were the 'flavor of the month' selling for a ton. Once they got out breeding went wild and now you have birds that have colors/feathering/build all over the place. Legbars are a dime a dozen today and a big % of them are no better quality than bulk hatchery birds. Same thing is happening/will happen with Cemani, Svart Hona, Orust - everything. It's the nature of the beast - some people want to 'preserve the breed,' others want to make a quick buck, and others are hobbyists who happen across one and breed them incidently or as a home project. Realistically, all of them are probably ok to some degree. As an example, I have a couple dozen "show quality" bantam rocks that I'm working towards a breeding program with - my "culls" will go to backyard farms, 4-H kids, whatever - I'm not a subscriber of needless slaughter. I also have a m/f pair of Svart Hona that are part of my hobby/egg flock - cockerel appears to be of good quality (only 5 weeks old so far) but the pullet has obvious flaws (a white toenail or 2, she had difficulty hatching, needed feet splints, still has a slightly crooked toe) and would never be part of a breeding program in a legitimate program and likely wouldn't had survived her hatch (I assisted - a lot) and if she had probably would've went into a cull basket. However, as long as illness, injury, or predation doesn't take her - I'll likely hatch from her eventually. If friends/relatives want a Svart Hona, they'll get it from her likely as I don't see making people pay a couple of hundred bucks for a bird from somewhere else if they just want a novelty addition to their flock. A lot of scoffs at that school of thought, but it is what it is. ;)

All the hoopla over others telling you how to manage your own birds reminds me of how pretentious Ameraucana breeders use to be (and honestly a lot still are) over people saying/spelling Americana or calling Easter Eggers Ameraucanas.
wink.png
Anyone who cared, all ready knew the difference. I liked (still like) going to Ameraucana stomping grounds and showing pictures of my Ameraucana based olive egger mutts and "showing them off" - you can almost see some of them have a stroke through their computer monitor.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
If you've ever bought a hatchery chick then you've all ready bought a chick with a line of ''ghosts'' behind it. Standard practice for years on top of years to toss out/grind up/use as packing peanuts/whatever with male chicks. The ag industry is what it is and will likely continue to be that way for a very long time. Your best chance at avoiding that is to buy from known breeders. It may take some time, but you can almost always find what you're looking for if you are patient.

On why some breeders destroy rather than give away cull chicks - often because of the possibility of 'bad' birds perpetuating. As mentioned earlier in this thread about Cream Legbars - a few years ago they were the 'flavor of the month' selling for a ton. Once they got out breeding went wild and now you have birds that have colors/feathering/build all over the place. Legbars are a dime a dozen today and a big % of them are no better quality than bulk hatchery birds. Same thing is happening/will happen with Cemani, Svart Hona, Orust - everything. It's the nature of the beast - some people want to 'preserve the breed,' others want to make a quick buck, and others are hobbyists who happen across one and breed them incidently or as a home project. Realistically, all of them are probably ok to some degree. As an example, I have a couple dozen "show quality" bantam rocks that I'm working towards a breeding program with - my "culls" will go to backyard farms, 4-H kids, whatever - I'm not a subscriber of needless slaughter. I also have a m/f pair of Svart Hona that are part of my hobby/egg flock - cockerel appears to be of good quality (only 5 weeks old so far) but the pullet has obvious flaws (a white toenail or 2, she had difficulty hatching, needed feet splints, still has a slightly crooked toe) and would never be part of a breeding program in a legitimate program and likely wouldn't had survived her hatch (I assisted - a lot) and if she had probably would've went into a cull basket. However, as long as illness, injury, or predation doesn't take her - I'll likely hatch from her eventually. If friends/relatives want a Svart Hona, they'll get it from her likely as I don't see making people pay a couple of hundred bucks for a bird from somewhere else if they just want a novelty addition to their flock. A lot of scoffs at that school of thought, but it is what it is. ;)

All the hoopla over others telling you how to manage your own birds reminds me of how pretentious Ameraucana breeders use to be (and honestly a lot still are) over people saying/spelling Americana or calling Easter Eggers Ameraucanas.
wink.png
Anyone who cared, all ready knew the difference. I liked (still like) going to Ameraucana stomping grounds and showing pictures of my Ameraucana based olive egger mutts and "showing them off" - you can almost see some of them have a stroke through their computer monitor.
big_smile.png
I hope you just trade among friends, and don't intend to sell them to the public as 'purebred svart honas'

I hope you just trade among friends, and don't intend to sell them to the public as 'purebred svart honas'
I don't 'just trade among friends.' It's rare that I add to my flock but when I do I'm relatively selective (outside of a hobby egg color flock). I never trade birds for other birds.

No plans at all on them really, outside of increasing via hatching from my stock but like I said, if someone local wants one I have zero qualms about hatching them out a few. I have their origin stock noted for anyone who cares, which ironically were hatched by 'perfect' Svart Hona of well known stock. Realistically, these or Cemani have zero chance of keeping their current market value. 2 years ago they were a few grand each. This year $100-200. This time next year or the following, the market will be drenched and you'll be able to pick them up for a Tubman. I'm not a fan of designer breeds personally - outside of my kids rainbow egg flock, everything I have is from specialty breeder heritage stock. I wound up with Hona eggs in a weird twist and zero chance I'd dish out hundred(s) per bird on virtually anything - especially so when I have a breed-capable pair on hand to increase stock. Also in earnest, zero care on throwing out the occasional (or more often) imperfect bird. It happens with every quality parent - I don't lethally cull imperfect birds from those either and they more often than not end up in someone's flock. Also - imperfect birds do happen to be purebred. Like I said, my exhibition stock tosses out less than show quality standards - they're still offspring from the same stock that produces proven exhibition birds.

Last edited:
Shouldn't they be called purebred if they're purebred? Then after that show quality, to standards, standard of excellence?

I mean if they're purebred they're purebred because they just are from genetics.

I know it works that way in cattery and kennels... Pedigree, show quality etc all have different price points. Regular pedigree being cheaper...

No plans at all on them really, outside of increasing via hatching from my stock but like I said, if someone local wants one I have zero qualms about hatching them out a few. I have their origin stock noted for anyone who cares.

Shouldn't they be called purebred if they're purebred? Then after that show quality, to standards, standard of excellence?

I mean if they're purebred they're purebred because they just are from genetics.

I know it works that way in cattery and kennels... Pedigree, show quality etc all have different price points. Regular pedigree being cheaper...
+1 - as I was editing my post to add that very sentiment. There's evidently exists some sort of pretentiousness in the poultry world that defies genetics and such. Going back to Ameraucana Breeders - it kills me that a factually proven purebred Ameraucana can be bred to a factually proven Ameraucana of another color, yet these guys insist the offspring isn't a factual Ameraucana because they result in a feather coloring that isn't deemed acceptable by one organization or another...

Back
Top Bottom