Most friendly chicken breeds

Newbie to chickens. First 8 chicks coming the end of March. After much studying on this site I have chosen.
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Welsummer
Golden Buff
Barred Rock
White Rock
Barnevelder
Austra White
Black Australorp

These were none broody, calm disposition , good layers. Good mix?

Sure I will be here often looking for advice :) Great website.

Just from observation from other folks here that have those breeds you have a 50/50 chance of them living up to your expectations lol!
They're individuals reguardless of breed so tacking down the should, would, will or wonts is damn near impossible.
Choose what speaks to you, throw your research to the wind.
Trust me on this iv'e got a tad bit of experience and wouldn't steer you wrong.:)
Newbie to chickens. First 8 chicks coming the end of March. After much studying on this site I have chosen.
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Welsummer
Golden Buff
Barred Rock
White Rock
Barnevelder
Austra White
Black Australorp

These were none broody, calm disposition , good layers. Good mix?

Sure I will be here often looking for advice :) Great website.

Lol!
Are you sure you are a newbie?
Your sort of humor screams grizzled professional.:lau
And yes, with those picks your flock will be stunning not to mention very fun.:)
Thank you Chickassan. Will keep that in mind when one beats me up and the other refuses to leave her nest :).

Excited to see what happens and believe this group will be a pretty flock to watch grow.

Does anyone have an opinion on the most lovable and most friendly chicken breeds?
D.gif

There is actually a lot. I highly recommend this breed though.
Jersey Giant chickens are very friendly, calm and docile breed. Of particular note with this breed is they are also very friendly with other varieties of birds and even other pets. They are large enough as not to be frightened by other domesticated pets, and roosters of this breed are also very low on the aggression scale. Jersey Giants are robust and fairly cold hardy. They are not flighty, but require a lot of space because of their size. Other than the fact that they are not as easily handled because of their size, Giants make good pets for children because they are so extremely docile and calm.

Lol!
Are you sure you are a newbie?
Your sort of humor screams grizzled professional.:lau
And yes, with those picks your flock will be stunning not to mention very fun.:)

Well, I have been around the block with all types of animals. Chickens are my old lady project and yes new to me. Understand that at times all will not go as planned

They are the best old lady project!
Seriously, the more senile you become the better you'll do.
Chickens arent ment for the straight laced, if you ever go in seriously you're doomed. :)
Well, I have been around the block with all types of animals. Chickens are my old lady project and yes new to me. Understand that at times all will not go as planned

This hens will not have to worry about me being rigid. As long as it’s safe have add it. Got tired of wrestling bull calves with their pissed off mothers watching me and not offering to help at all. Sold my last Charolais last summer.

Need to do something with the barn and my time. Figuring chickens would be fun and amusing to play with plus eggs !! Added bonus of not worrying about leaving a limb behind.

Not a huge amount of experience here, but I have read several on these forums saying that wyandottes can be quite mean. I'm assuming they meant bullying other chickens because it's rare (aside from some roosters) that a bird is aggressive towards humans.

None of my laced Wyandotte eggs hatched, which was sort of a relief after reading those posts.

I watch this thread with interest, since I have mostly Faverolle hens and they are even Sweeter than their reputation, and quite timid, just wonderful birds full of happiness and personality, but they generally run away from conflict with the "meanies".

They get along with my 2 RIR hens OK, but the reds are aloof,anti-social, and vicious towards the younger birds I am trying to slowly introduce....they may be Lunchmeat, No more reds for me.

Interesting. Read also the Wyandotte’s can be bullies to other chickens. As Chickassan would say 50/50 chance.

My chicken coop will be large with roughly 10 sq ft/chicken and run 40 sq ft/chicken. Will put in lots of tree branches, toys, etc. So thinking none should have a reason to squabble but who knows.

The laced Wyandotte is so darn pretty to me. Not going worry about aggression until I see a reason to worry and someone has to be boss.

Will have to look up Faverolle. Doing my research haven’t read up on this breed.

Back
Top Bottom