Most friendly chicken breeds

I don't know why they say Wyandottes will get mean. I've had them for years with no problems. One of the best roosters I ever had was a golden Laced Wyandotte. He died last year at 9 years old.

Some of my best broody hens have been Australorps. They have always been my favorite of all the breeds.

I love the Favorolle chickens. They seem to be a more delicate breed and I've had a few birth defect issues from the ones I've hatched. But if you don't plan on hatching they are a neat bird to have in the flock. They kind of live in a world of their own, living with the flock but doing their own thing most of the time. :D

Have no idea since I have zero experience. Like Rotagen, also noted that Wyandottes were labeled aggressive toward other chickens. Not only on this website but others as well.

Lots of positive reviews on the Wyandotte’s too. Personally I’m not worried about her temperament and feel she will be fine in flock. Frankly just might be the people she is forced to be around. When I was young and someone unfairly pissed me off would go punch my baby brother. So maybe it is something like that.

Got a black Australorp coming as well as a Austra White. It will fun to see all their personalities.

Need to read up on the Favorolle chickens for future use.

Lordy, Faverolles are a labor of love.
Sweet mostly but boy oh boy are they ever dramatic.
The boys seem to be about 85% dream boats though, the girls well.....they'll poop in your heat pump.:)
20200104_164615.jpg
20200104_164702.jpg
20200106_171749.jpg

I think Orpinton's are very docile, friendly birds. I have three Buff Orpington's and they are a joy to have around. My Golden Laced Wyandotte's are more skittish and jumpy, although I do love them too! :)
DSCN4796.jpg

Seriously, iv'e snickerd more than once at reccomending Faverolles.
Don't get me wrong, iv'e got six hens and two roosters of the breed so im obviously a fan.
Truth is they are one exception to the expectation versus reality rule but in a really skewed sort of way.
You can expect some strangeness, some situations you'll never get to the bottom of you can expect some weird chickens.
Reality is that they not only meet but exceed your expectations.:gig
Haha........love it. You are brilliant. Half way potty trained.

I hear you! One of my 22 week old RIR is mean! Always pecking me and following me around. Been picking her up and/or pinning her down in hopes that she leaves me alone ... she is almost ready for a new home BUT today she laid the biggest egg ! Ughh hope her hormones settle she is a new layer
Not a huge amount of experience here, but I have read several on these forums saying that wyandottes can be quite mean. I'm assuming they meant bullying other chickens because it's rare (aside from some roosters) that a bird is aggressive towards humans.

None of my laced Wyandotte eggs hatched, which was sort of a relief after reading those posts.

I watch this thread with interest, since I have mostly Faverolle hens and they are even Sweeter than their reputation, and quite timid, just wonderful birds full of happiness and personality, but they generally run away from conflict with the "meanies".

They get along with my 2 RIR hens OK, but the reds are aloof,anti-social, and vicious towards the younger birds I am trying to slowly introduce....they may be Lunchmeat, No more reds for me.

My Sebright, Moonshine, is not only very friendly, she's super smart. Likes to follow me around and fly up onto my arm. She's also very opinionated and will tell everyone if she doesn't approve of something. All my various breeds of chickens are friendly, but she and I have a special trusting relationship that goes beyond the rest.
sebright hen (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom