Most friendly hen turning mean/defensive. What to do?

19Chicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
My New Hampshire hen was the most friendly of them all. She was the one to jump on a perch just to be held. Now, she has become mean and defensive. She is always laying in her hen box, where they lay eggs. She took the most used one to herself, and she never leaves it! I have to pick her up and move her outside. When I do get close to her, she puffs up and occasionally pecks! There is barely ever an egg under her, but sometimes there is one. Once I put her outside, she will continue to puff out and will also attack other hens. When some of the hens go inside the coop, she may peck them or chase them out. This can be bad because she could be preventing my other hens from laying. I don't know if this is the correct word for her or not, but is she broody? I think that she may want babies, so I may have to build a separate coop for that. What do you think it could be?

Yes, she sounds verrrryyyyy broody! I would personally let her hatch some chicks. She sounds very devoted. If you don't want her to hatch chicks then you will need to block the boxes off, and continue to make sure she goes out into the run.

Sound pretty classic broody hen. You need to decide if you want her to hatch babies or not. Remember, when a hen hatches chicks they average half roosters.......what would you do with them? That's important to have a plan for!

Back
Top Bottom