Most humane way to kill 8 year old hen

Quote:
^
l
l
What Ellie said...then when she passes in four years, you can say you had a Hen on the porch for the longest time.
smile.png

Quote:
Suffocating a chicken in a plastic bag doesnt sound humane to me.
Have you ever not been able to breathe? You panic, it's not a good feeling. I would think this would take awhile also. I think one of the quicker ways would be much more humane. JMO

Nancy

Quote:
I have to agree. I have had to put down quite a few of my birds, cats, ducks and even one of my horses.

The first couple times were the hardest, but after watching the animal suffer and the $45 euthanasia fee the Hubby did not want to pay I did it myself, with an axe.

Suffocation would be horrible, think of drowning, or a plastic bag over your face. Try holding your breath for 5 minutes, or have Hubby hold a plastic bag over your mouth and try to breath.
Then decide what is worse.

I tried the twisted neck and that was also horrible, while I went to get the axe, the poor chick was suffering, falling over every time it tried to get up. Bullet is also good, to the head only.

Starter fluid is ether. If you positive she is no longer leading a good life.... place a bowl of starter fluid inside a rubbermaid container then put her in with the lid on. She will go very pleasantly. She would have to be in really bad shape for me to do it though.

i would say a person with a kind heart would have to have a lot of caruage to kill.i for one am a coward.as there is no good way to die.the fastest way would be chopping off the head,and or see your vet.

Your hens age has nothing to do with mites and lice. If she does have issues you need to check the rest of them. I have never seen one chicken have lice or mites and the rest of them not have the same issue. You need to do more than put down your older hen. The entire coop will have to be cleaned out and treated for parasites. All the other chickens will need a treatment as well. You will need to repeat in 7 - 10 days. As far as putting her down IMO there is no quicker and less painful way than the common dispatch with a very sharp instrument. We use a hatchet for larger chickens and a very sharp scissor for chicks.

I have had to put a silkie to sleep a few years back and dislocated the head. It is a quick pull while you hold the bird. They flap a few times and then it is done. It is instantaneous.
I am sorry about your hen.

For those people who prefer and do not mind paying a fee to take their birds to the vet, you can request your bird be 'sedated' prior to euthanasia.

My vet usually does not euthanise animals unless she sedates them first so that they are not 'aware' or stressed by their own death.

alot of people will argue vet euthanasia is equally inhumane but it does not have to be.

However, death being the ultimate end to life, I would make sure it is in the best interest of the animal before making such a permanent decision.

e

Last edited:
Just dust her and make a little ramp to her sleeping area - just takes a 2x6 with some sandpaper stapled onto it. Dust all the birds, and dust their bedding - they all already had them if she has them, she probably got them from the others. Treat her little legs with oil if they're leg mites.

I'd just make sure she eats and let her live her life with the others.

Back
Top Bottom