Most humane way to kill 8 year old hen

Thank you everyone for your advice. We have dusted all girls and cleaned out house, etc. For now, we'll see how she gets along and dust her every 7 to 10 days, other girls too if necessary. Not sure when I'm going to put the chicks in with the big girls yet. Chicks are 8 weeks old on Wed.

I read in a book "Practical Poultry Keeping" about a technique where you sort-of just hold the head in your fingers, press in your thumb and it dislocates the spine and kills instantly. I've never tried it, but seems less gruesome than the chopping block.

good luck!

LAB

I would just have a vet do it... I've had to put animals down before and it can run from $20-$100!

Just call around, someone may be decent enough to do it for $5!

Go to your auto supply store and buy a can of starter fluid with ether. Put your hen in a large plastic bag with wadded newspaper in the bottom that has been sprayed with the ether. Seal the bag snug around her, and make a small hole in the bottom of the bag so that you can spray in some more ether. She'll be gone in less than 30 seconds.

BTW, this is also the way to kill English house sparrows (really a weaver finch) and European starlings if you trap them to save native birds.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, if she is so bad, just chop her head off and get it over with, once you do it, the next time an animal is suffering it will be easier. Yes, I cried like a baby my first few times and I love my animals dearly, but never will I let one suffer.

Or just clean her up and get her back to health. With all the lice/mites she is probably becoming anemic. So get on the ball.

Quote:
I'd wait at least two more weeks, to give you time to kill the lice/mites that will hatch after you start dusting. By then they should be close to adult size and you may be able to pull off integrating them without real violence.

And I agree, for several reasons, we should NEVER feed chickens to prey animals.

Quote:
Sounds terrible
ep.gif

Well, I have to say that being gently handled in a bag with ether (sort of) is a way more humane and responsible (IMHO) method than being left out in the middle of nowhere for coyotes when you're used to the security of a barnyard and your friends.

I still boggle at that.

I have heard that the starter fluid method is ok for chicks or very small birds, such as small bantams..
but I don't know that it works well, or quickly for an adult hen.

in what way is she crippled?
was she injured?
are the legs deformed?
could she have Scaley leg mite?(check the legs for raised scales and crust)
have you checked the bottoms of her feet and between toes for Bumblefoot?(sore, scab, raised area, heat or swelling)
or just age?(if so..she needs calcium and other nutrients)

if she's crippled, she must not be able to eat or drink enough..
making the problem worse.

it's possible she could be treated and made more comfortable and do better..
but need more info about her condition and nutrition..

Back
Top Bottom