Most humane way to kill 8 year old hen

Quote:
Without revealing too much personal information, I can tell you that this method is both effective and quick on creatures much larger than a chicken. And I can only hope that it was humane.

She is old, 8 years. We've oiled her legs for mites, dusted her for lice/mites, she eats and drinks well. She does not have bumble foot or any injury. She can still run across the yard for treats (berries, yogurt, rice). We're accomodating her in the coop with a step up to the roost. We're going to keep up the oiling and dusting and see how she does for a while and NOT KILL HER yet.

celebrate.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Come on big chicken. Keep up the good work. My neighbor had a 10 year old, or so she said. Someone else told me they can live up to 14 years.

The mites and lice are a symptom of the yard, not the bird. She's not carrying them.

Remember you must treat the yard just as thoroughly as you treat the birds. I couldn't think of putting down a bird who's eating and drinking like that. I had a very arthritic old rooster and he was that way for a good three years after his first real bad arthritis. We just made it to where he could get to a high roost without jumping so he wouldn't roost on the ground.

His leg bones looked like gnarled old tree roots.
smile.png
But he would eat and drink, a little harder to keep but giving probiotics every other week goes a long way towards helping ALL of your flock.

Incidentally, if you're treating bugs, make sure that if they're blood-taking you treat internally (ivermectin) not just externally.

the quick and easy and instant way is to hold her under your weaker arm like between your side and your arm slide your index and thumb up the neck with your strong hand just as u reach the base of the scull give a squeez and a quick jerk to snap the neck

Try getting a big tubberware container I mean big like one for storage and fill with some baking soda and peroxide and she'll just go to sleep.

Quote:
OK officially I just can't read this thread anymore.

I am glad to hear you're going to give her another shot. In the mean time, save up some money in a jar. When she's not able to move and eat and drink, then consider putting her to sleep. You'll have money saved up to have a vet do it.

Good luck with the girl! I think it's good of you to give her another shot - she has a lot of life left to live.

Doesn't anyone keep up with the poster's updated comments???

She is NOT going to euthanise her bird...she's going to treat her for mites!!!

Quote:
Thank you, allmypeeps. We are TREATING her and spoiling her even more.

By the way countrybum, we had a 10 year old BO hen who died a couple years ago (we did NOT euthanize her) and she never did get arthritis or parasites. She also layed a couple eggs when she was 9 years old. She was a wonderful bird. I miss her a lot. Still.

So if I get Ivermectin and treat them orally, how much, how often, and I still need to dust the grounds right?

Look for ivermectin dosage here:

http://www.texaspoultry.com/Dosage Chart.html

seems you are doing something right if all your birds are living to ripe old ages and dying of natural causes. If ever you do feel you have to make a life/death decision and feel you cannot do it yourself but hear about Vet euth not being as pretty either- ask your vet to 'sedate' your bird prior to euthanizing. It makes the process less agonizing for all.....

I hope the link helps, have not had to use ivermectin myself- perhaps someone else can fill you in if the link fails.

best,

e

Back
Top Bottom