most humane way to put down a chicken at home :(

Quote:
I agree......
hugs.gif

Quote:
the flapping is going to REALLY REALLY REALLY freak me out. the last thing i want to do is torture it, or think I'm torturing it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for her yet.
sad.png

Quote:
the flapping is going to REALLY REALLY REALLY freak me out. the last thing i want to do is torture it, or think I'm torturing it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for her yet.
sad.png

The longer the wait the harder it is.
sad.png
hugs.gif

We just had to put down a bird too. We used the broom stick method..it breaks the neck in an instant, and no blood. Very fast. (i can send you a video link of how its done..if you'd like? ) THats how we'll do it again, if we have to.
But the head chop is also very fast and humane. I would do either one of those.
So sorry.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I agree that the head chop will be the most humane way. It's over in a fraction of a second. No matter what you do she's going to flap, it's nothing more than a reaction of the nervous system but it will be dead and won't feel a thing. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I have 2 roosters I have to process soon and I hate doing it. It helps me to say I'm sorry outloud before and after. At least that makes me feel a little less cold about it.

Ive only done it once and here is what i did.
I hit the bird over the head as hard as i could with a board (this immediately knocks it out and cannot feel anything for a minute or so) and then immediately dunk it under water. Its instincts make it breath it and it fills with water. Quickly dies. And human, i hope
smile.png

We just had to do this. Like, half an hour ago.

My dad cut a hole in a cardboard box, then rigged a hose up connected to the exhaust pipe of his car, and put the hose through a hole in the box. It's like the gas chambers. She looked like she was asleep.

Quote:
The reason it is painless is because it takes the nervous system time to transmit the message from the injury site to the brain where pain receptors process the request and send back the message that there is pain. The messages typically get passed so quickly that pain is felt very quickly after an injury, but if that connection is severed, there is no way for the brain to get the message that there is pain. Think about slicing potatoes and having the knife slip and slice your finger open. When it is a sharp slice and it happens quickly, you will *know* the cut happened and *see* the blood but initially it does not hurt.

Back
Top Bottom