most humane way to slaughter?

My friend has a machine that acts like a stun gun and it shocks the animal and it dies straight away and is simple.(but i think they still feel a bit of pain using that method).
Even though they don't move nothing. after the stun

Sliting the throat when they are still ALIVE! obviously they suffer if the throat is slit and still ALIVE!
The axe thing is easier and faster but broomstick method is what i do.
The neck breaks so they die straight away and no blood involved.
It takes about 8 minutes for the goose to die (stop moving) while it takes 4-3 with the broomstick method.(metal cylinder pole for me)

When you say "it takes eight minutes for the goose to die (stop moving)" it isn't entirely true. Yes, it may take the bird 8 minutes to stop moving, but the bird will have died much sooner. What you are seeing when the bird flops around is the nerves in action. The bird is dead when that happens. I don't mean to argue I am just clarifying what you said for anyone who may be reading this and isn't positive.

Last edited:
oh sure i know that but i mean as in the eyes still blink and the mouth keeps opening up and the most horrible thing is that they make a grunting noise so that is what i mean since i did it 3 times before and about 8-9 mins they stopped blinking and moving the mouth and neck and then afterwards the nerves kick in.And about 13 minutes for it to stop moving

The neck breaks so they die straight away and no blood involved.
No, they don't.

Breaking the neck/severing the spinal cord stops the heart/lungs/etc from working. They still die from lack of oxygen to the brain. It takes the same amount of time as slitting the throat or cutting the head off. Pithing is a little bit quicker, but it's tougher for a lot of people to do right.

The method that is must humane is whatever you can do without hesitating.

No the sliting takes a lot longer for the bird to stop moving and die whereas breaking the neck they don't open beak or blink their eyes and make no noise while you slit the throat they do all them and nothing is still alive when head and neck are detached so sliting the throat is a lot more cruel.
But everyone has their own opinion on this so arguments are worthless.
;)

No the sliting takes a lot longer for the bird to stop moving and die whereas breaking the neck they don't open beak or blink their eyes and make no noise while you slit the throat they do all them and nothing is still alive when head and neck are detached so sliting the throat is a lot more cruel.
;)

Just out of interest how do professional slaughter houses kill chickens?

I know someone who just kills his cream legbar cockerels with a baseball bat
As they are going for snake food

wink.png
They don't do most of those things because you've severed the nerves that create those movements, not because they're more dead. Animals still sense some things until the brain dies - the brain doesn't instantly die when you sever the head.

If you use a sharp enough knife, the animal won't even feel the wound. (Ever cut yourself with a scalpel? Or a properly sharpened cooking knife - you don't feel anything until after you see the blood)

Back
Top Bottom